Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

  1. #1
    agy2154 is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    0

    Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    <snip>
    Ubuntu's drive accesss speeds are faster but Windows 8 boot time is. Is this because of Ubuntu EXT drive format?
    Last edited by coffeecat; May 12th, 2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: removed link

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    76
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    Not a bad article. Unfortunately, the average user probably won't be very inclined to worry about benchmarks too much, and especially with installing an OS on their own, or in dual booting.

    I imagine Win 7/8 will win with the average user because, as we all know, it comes pre-installed on most desktops and laptops. They log in, clear out the pre-installed spam, fire up IE and go. Joe Six Pack will get used to Win 8 because it's "Windows" and it's what he knows.

    When Ubuntu/Linux starts to hit shelves pre-installed, and people can try it out in-store, with knowledgeable sales people, then it will become interesting, especially if strides are made in gaming, like with Steam, etc. Believe it or not, gaming is a huge factor for many people, because they use their PCs to surf the web, write a few docs and emails, and play games. Not everyone is a serious Access or Excel user.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Beans
    1,543
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    Quote Originally Posted by agy2154 View Post
    <snip>
    Ubuntu's drive accesss speeds are faster but Windows 8 boot time is. Is this because of Ubuntu EXT drive format?
    Windows 8 boots faster because Windows 8 doesn't shutdown, it hibernates. I have a machine that supports hibernating on Ubuntu, and waking up from hibernating is indeed faster than booting from a shutdown.
    Last edited by coffeecat; May 12th, 2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: removed backwash link

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Beans
    119
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Windows 8 boots faster because Windows 8 doesn't shutdown, it hibernates. I have a machine that supports hibernating on Ubuntu, and waking up from hibernating is indeed faster than booting from a shutdown.
    Yep, had a user totally shut win8 down, it is probably no faster than windows 7 boot.

    Plus, it now comes with your next favorite web browser, Internet Explorer 10.
    What?
    Last edited by Jakin; November 4th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    327
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    Security
    Ubuntu is more secure than Windows. It has less flaws and fewer people use it. Because fewer people use it, there are fewer people targeting it. Windows 8 does come built with “Windows Defender” which is supposed to help out a bit.

    Quite an amateurish and flawed statement in every sense, this is what MS sales pitchers use and use it regularly to gullible buyers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eggnog View Post
    When Ubuntu/Linux starts to hit shelves pre-installed, and people can try it out in-store, with knowledgeable sales people, then it will become interesting, especially if strides are made in gaming, like with Steam, etc. Believe it or not, gaming is a huge factor for many people, because they use their PCs to surf the web, write a few docs and emails, and play games. Not everyone is a serious Access or Excel user.
    they have it here in major electronics retailer. Ubuntu was the system of choice....
    had a chance to try it out though i don't know knowledgable the sales persons are. since they were more interested in Apples and some other customers. probably they would push windows on me. anyway ubuntu preinstaleld there was missing a browser. unity interface though and computer was entry level Acer with Celeron.

    in major online shops as well as this retailer they were selling HPs with SUSE enterprise linux preinstalled. Cousin bought one and immediatelly replaced it with win7 - needs specialised win software...(still has SUSE sticker though).

    i think that plenty of hardware works on linux these days if all applications people use (especially games) would work on linux windows would not be necessary. what i use windows for is games and 1 must have widnows only application (bastards dont' want to make linux version even when enterprises requested it).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Beans
    119
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    anyway ubuntu preinstaleld there was missing a browser.
    Thats not such a big deal i guess, as long as there is a guide somewhere in paperwork that comes with the computer for a new to Ubuntu user to know, they can pick one from the built in software center. Although being a system setup to mess around with, they should have installed one, if the store had wifi..
    Last edited by Jakin; November 5th, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    82

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    If there was a store here in Canada (Ontario) that sold a Ubuntu laptop with the wifi, video and sound all working I would go buy it, however, I have never seen such a setup in any store I have been in.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    128

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Windows 8 boots faster because Windows 8 doesn't shutdown, it hibernates. I have a machine that supports hibernating on Ubuntu, and waking up from hibernating is indeed faster than booting from a shutdown.
    It shutdowns? I didn't click the link so maybe they didn't shut it down and just hibernated it, but Windows 8 does shut down.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    4,681

    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    Security
    Ubuntu is more secure than Windows. It has less flaws and fewer people use it. Because fewer people use it, there are fewer people targeting it. Windows 8 does come built with “Windows Defender” which is supposed to help out a bit.

    Quite an amateurish and flawed statement in every sense, this is what MS sales pitchers use and use it regularly to gullible buyers.
    While to some degree this makes some sort of sense, the reality is targeting Linux is still a huge incentive to hackers because Linux is a tremendous backbone to the internet. Linux as a whole may have a small desktop share, but that doesn't mean it makes them any less of a target considering their wide spread server use.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

    Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •