Thread: Vostro 1510 - Touchpad not detected when booting up with power cable attached

Beans
    Hidden!

Vostro 1510 - Touchpad not detected when booting up with power cable attached

Running Ubuntu 10.10 with Gnome

When power cable is attached touchpad is not detected. When removing power cable for first 5 seconds during bootup and then re-attaching, then touchpad works fine. Not using a mouse, so don't know if it is also problematic. Using generic chargers, not a Dell charger, but everything worked fine with generic chargers on Ubuntu 9.04 - 10.04.

xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ PS/2 Mouse id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated Webcam id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys id=14 [slave keyboard (3)]

When booting up with power cable, these two are not found 90% of time, 10% of time these are somehow discovered when clicking the touchpad buttons during startup:

↳ PS/2 Mouse id=12 [slave pointer
    ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint id=13 [slave pointer

When booting up on battery power, touchpad is detected 100% of time.

Beans

Re: Vostro 1510 - Touchpad not detected when booting up with power cable attached

i am having the same problem here........ what is the workaround

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Vostro 1510 - Touchpad not detected when booting up with power cable attached

How does it work in a live boot of 11.04?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

umm....... i never performed a live boot of Ubuntu 11.04 - i just upgraded from 10.10

Beans
    Distro

That is often the problem. Testing before installing is the only way of knowing how it behaves on your hardware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Testing before installing is the only way of knowing how it behaves on your hardware.
    well, i have been using ubuntu since 9.10....... it's not like for every release after 6 months, we download the whole ISO, then test drive it in live mode and then install........ we always UPGRADE when a new stable version is released.

and just so on the topic, my problem with touchpad not detected is not a reproducible problem..... sometimes it is detected during start-up....... and sometimes it is NOT detected during start-up......... if it's not detected during start-up, then i have to repeatedly restart the machine until ubuntu detects my touchpad.......... i don't think using a live test drive would have helped in understanding the problem which is not reproducible.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by syed.rakib.al.hasan View Post
    it's not like for every release after 6 months, we download the whole ISO, then test drive it in live mode and then install........ we always UPGRADE when a new stable version is released.
    Who are 'we'?

I could never dream on anything else than a fresh install. If you take a look around in the fora these days, you will see a whole lot of problems being caused by a bad upgrade and solved with a reinstall.

Feel free to believe that an upgrade should work, and I agree with you on that. Reality is just otherwise.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sort of defeats the point of having upgrades if they can only be used to do a clean install from scratch. Also sort of defeats the point of having a help forum if you just use it as a place to be a know it all **** with no actual useful suggestions, Morgaes.

I have the same exact problem after maverick to natty upgrade, also occurs intermittently, will post fix here when I fix it. I had this problem on a long ago previous upgrade on the same machine, I think from 7 to 8, and was able to find a workaround that permanently fixed it until now (which I think I didn't save a copy of the terminal from unfortunately) but I can re-fix it and then will post here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks guys. This weird *** bug was driving me nuts and this particular laptop of my friends had a completely dead battery, so the grub kernel commands worked perfectly!
    Just another example of how Linux and the Open Source Community just plain ROCK!!!!