Thread: Connecting Server to internet via Personal computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Connecting Server to internet via Personal computer

I have an old desktop (i use as a server) with an Ethernet card. I have a personal computer with an Ethernet card and a wireless card.

What I want to do is be able to ssh into the server, and be able to access the internet on personal computer at the same time in Ubuntu. I have Ubuntu server 12.04 on the server desktop, and i have Ubuntu 12.04 64bit on my personal computer. How would I do this?

I have tried bridges, but my personal computers wireless device gets the error about not being supported on wlan0. I can share my internet connection to the server, but i can't make the server do anything because i can't ssh to it.

Is there a different way to bridge connections in Ubuntu that I don't know of, maybe emulate a different wireless card or something so i can connect to my server?

Or, can I ssh into a computer on a shared Ethernet connection, and I just haven't found out how yet?

All help is appreciated.
    "If "con" is the opposite of "pro", then what is the opposite of progress?"
    http://dageek247.tk/ is my home page,and Registered Ubuntu user number # 32184

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Connecting Server to internet via Personal computer

interesting thing to note, the server has samba sharing set up on it, and it shows up on the network, but not on the router. I can edit and mess around with files on ym personal pc, but i still have yet to be able to open up its terminal on my personal computer.
    "If "con" is the opposite of "pro", then what is the opposite of progress?"
    http://dageek247.tk/ is my home page,and Registered Ubuntu user number # 32184