Thread: No sound in speakers or headphones, red light in headphone jack (MacBook Pro 3,1)

Beans

Question No sound in speakers or headphones, red light in headphone jack (MacBook Pro 3,1)

I had posted about a similar problem to this before, on my previous laptop here, which was a MacBook Pro 2,1. However, I got a new laptop recently which is a MacBook Pro 3,1. I'm dual-booting Ubuntu 12.04 and OS X Mountain Lion, and not only do my headphones not work - along with the red light in the headphone jack which seems common - but my speakers also don't work (in Ubuntu).

Any ideas? I do have one possible solution, but it's command-line for an older version of Ubuntu and since I'm pretty much a beginner at Linux, I don't know how to adapt it for this version. I could do it if I could enable root user, outside of command line (graphical) but I don't remember how to do that and I don't even know if it would fix the problem anyway.

Also, as of today my keyboard isn't working, but I'll post that in a different thread.

Beans

Re: No sound in speakers or headphones, red light in headphone jack (MacBook Pro 3,1)

I'm having a related, but different problem. I'm dual-booting 12.04 and Mac OS 10.8 on a MacBook 5,1. I do have the red light issue on the Ubuntu side (weird, but I guess I can deal), but for me the sound doesn't work on the Mac side (neither headphones nor built-in speakers). It works fine with Ubuntu.