Thread: Accessing links to Windows folders though Samba shared Home

Beans

Accessing links to Windows folders though Samba shared Home

So, in my home directory I have replaced the Documents, Music etc folders with links to the equivalent directories on my Windows partition, cause I dual boot and had Windows first so all my music etc is on that partition. This just works just fine on the machine Ubuntu is installed on. I have also shared my home folder on my local network so I can access files from other computers and my Android tablet. This works fine for files within the home folder, and any directories that aren't links to the Window partition. However, I am unable to access any of the linked directories, I think because they are owned by root, even though they are set to have read / write permissions for all other users. I also can't change the owner of the links with "sudo chown" for some reason.

Anybody got any ideas how I can allow these directories to be accessed by other machines on my network?

Cheers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Accessing links to Windows folders though Samba shared Home

Quote Originally Posted by fatski View Post
    So, in my home directory I have replaced the Documents, Music etc folders with links to the equivalent directories on my Windows partition, cause I dual boot and had Windows first so all my music etc is on that partition. This just works just fine on the machine Ubuntu is installed on. I have also shared my home folder on my local network so I can access files from other computers and my Android tablet. This works fine for files within the home folder, and any directories that aren't links to the Window partition. However, I am unable to access any of the linked directories, I think because they are owned by root, even though they are set to have read / write permissions for all other users. I also can't change the owner of the links with "sudo chown" for some reason.

Anybody got any ideas how I can allow these directories to be accessed by other machines on my network?

Cheers.
    Samba no longer follows sym-links by default. They have deemed it to be a security risk. But you can reconfigure it if you wish. Here are some ideas.
    -BAB1

Beans

Re: Accessing links to Windows folders though Samba shared Home

Thank you, adding the options to smb.conf suggested in the threads you linked a search to resolved the issue.