Thread: Sharing NTFS on start-up

Beans

Question Sharing NTFS on start-up

After much digging around I've found a way to share my NTFS drives, but I don't know how to do it so it will still remain active after I restart the computer.

This is the method I currently use:
    first, I unmount the drive (in case it is mounted at start-up)
    then I open the terminal and use the following command:
    Code:
     sudo /sbin/mount.ntfs /dev/sdc1 /media/Expansion -o rw,auto,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000
    Then I manually share what I want and tick the box 'guest access'

This method works for me, but I have to do it every time after I restart the computer.

I think the only problem is that the mount on start-up does not set NTFS permissions to grant access from the network, and the command I use does (I don't understand the command, I copy pasted it from a forum post and edited it to my needs, and I'm guessing 'fmask=0111' gives the permissions)

I'm thinking of adding a shell script with this command to /etc/init.d but I fear that might not be a very 'neat' way to do it. Also, I will need to find a way to deactivate whatever mounts the drive currently on-startup.

Any help or better ideas?

Beans

Re: Sharing NTFS on start-up

Assuming you are running a GUI, go to software center and install samba, or apt-get install system-config-samba. That is the easiest way to create persistent shares.

Beans

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Beans

The share is not my problem. I can make the share persistent as long as I'll mount on the same directory.

The problem is the mount. I need to mount with spacial permissions for ntfs drives and what's done automatically by ubuntu at the moment does not do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi LutraMan.

Don't use init/rc.local for that. Instead, set a mounting rule on /etc/fstab (read more here).

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.