Thread: Sound hangs in Ubuntu 12.04 on Eee PC 1201HA

Beans

Sound hangs in Ubuntu 12.04 on Eee PC 1201HA

Hi,

I've got the following problem. How to put it (I'm not a native English speaker) - my sound keeps on hanging, i.e. you can hear a loop of a short piece of sound played at a time. It resumes shortly after you hit any button or move the touchpad. It happens as often as from seconds up to one minute during a playback. It happens both on speakers and headphones, both on youtube videos and music played via normal player like vlc.

I'm a beginner in Linux so please forgive me if the information provided is too little. I will update it according to your guidelines.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Sound hangs in Ubuntu 12.04 on Eee PC 1201HA

Hi,
    i do have nearly the same problem on my Eee PC 1201HA. The only difference is that i use Xubuntu 13.04 and my sound lags the whole time. It doesn't matter if it's a video from the internet (youtube, the video itself is running without troubles) or a .mp3 file played with gmusic/vlc. I think there are some driver issues that i can't solve on my own. So i would be pleased if someone could help us, cause i think we have the same problem on two different distributions.

@callfromtheabyss
    Is ubuntu running fluently on your device and which version do you use? Cause i had serious graphic-troubles with ubuntu on mine.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I managed to get rid off the problem... I do not really know how. All i did was to run the ubuntu bug report in terminal: ubuntu-bug -s audio and to install newest packages. After the bug report i realised that the problem was gone. I can't say what step got the issue under control cause i didn't try the audio till i read about the bug report.
    Hope this helps people with the same problem.

Edit 2: THe problem is still there after restart. But after doing "ubuntu-bug audio" its gone! Is there somebody who can tell me what happens while the apport is running? So that i can put this in my starting routine. So i don't have to run th Ubuntu-bug audio after every restart...
    Last edited by Raude; June 7th, 2013 at 02:11 PM.

Beans

Re: Sound hangs in Ubuntu 12.04 on Eee PC 1201HA

@Raude

Your audiofix worked a treat for rhythmbox, but not for youtube... I'd really love if someone could share what the problem is, I'm not the wizzkid when it comes to drivers. Plus, I haven't got all the time in the world with this netbook, it's my girlfriends'.

Edit: Hooray huzzah! I've found the solution https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Model/1101HA in the section fix sound. It works a treat for both youtube and rhythmbox! Could you guys try this fix, so this thread can be marked as solved?
    Last edited by rogier.delporte; January 3rd, 2014 at 02:15 PM.