Thread: Sound in login page, no sound after

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Sound in login page, no sound after

I have 12.10 installed on a Thinkpad x230. It works great except for sound. I do have sound in the login page, but after I log in and get to the desktop, everything is perfectly silent.

I went through all the guides, nothing is muted, alsamixer looks ok in the console etc, but no sound plays and no errors are reported that I can see. I tried restarting pulseaudio and alsa but no change. Rebooting doesn't help either.

Is anyone else seeing this? Anything I can try to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Sound in login page, no sound after

For me, installing the kernel linked there helped.

As this kernel is older than the most recent one, you have to install it via command line. e.g. by running
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    in the directory you downloaded kernel+header+extras.

But I don't have a thinkpad, so I don't know whether your hardware also works with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kripkenstein View Post
    I have 12.10 installed on a Thinkpad x230. It works great except for sound. I do have sound in the login page, but after I log in and get to the desktop, everything is perfectly silent.

I went through all the guides, nothing is muted, alsamixer looks ok in the console etc, but no sound plays and no errors are reported that I can see. I tried restarting pulseaudio and alsa but no change. Rebooting doesn't help either.

Is anyone else seeing this? Anything I can try to fix this?
    Create a new user or use the guest user and log in with it. See if you got sound then.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the tips.

I did some more testing, including with a new account. It seems like sometimes when I boot I don't get sound, but sometimes I do (both with a new account and an old one) Also, it seems like i often lose sound when I suspect and resume.

Is there some way to completely reset sound in a session? So I don't need to reboot several times until it works?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

to reset a users sound:
    rm -rf .pulse
    logout
    login
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    to reset a users sound:
    rm -rf .pulse
    logout
    login
    Thanks pqwoerituytrueiwoq, I'll try that next time the problem happens.

Beans
    Distro

Doesn't seem to help. The only thing that helps is a complete shutdown (not even restart or logout).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

maybe alsa is crashing, or it is acting like my NIC on my desktop (stops working till i cut power)
    alsa reload might do it (may need sudo)
    edit:
    if it happens when you suspend you may need to restart alsa after it wakes up, and if there is a error from the command hopefully it will help
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; October 5th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    maybe alsa is crashing, or it is acting like my NIC on my desktop (stops working till i cut power)
    Maybe this is a NIC issue somehow. Turns out the headphone always works, it's just the builtin speakers and don't (until I power down/power up). I don't have any idea how to tell if this is a hardware problem or not. But headphones working is good enough for me.