Thread: Wont Start On HP G6 Laptop

Beans

Wont Start On HP G6 Laptop

Screen goes black and wont start when I try to boot from the unetbootin created usb stick. It works fine on other computers. This laptop is quite a common laptop. I think the problem could be relating to video drivers.

I've heard that using the nomodeset option at boot time might work, but 1. I don't know how to do this from a unetbootin generated installer and 2. The average joe shouldn't need to be messing around with this sort of thing.

update: pressing the tab button on the unetbootin menu allowed me to add nomodeset and it seems to be starting. However I still believe this issue can give new users a bad first-time experience and needs to be fixed.

update2: The purple screen came up and it looked like it was going to boot with nomodeset... Sadly that went away and left me with a black screen.
    Last edited by mr john; October 15th, 2012 at 05:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wont Start On HP G6 Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Screen goes black and wont start when I try to boot from the unetbootin created usb stick. It works fine on other computers. This laptop is quite a common laptop. I think the problem could be relating to video drivers.

I've heard that using the nomodeset option at boot time might work, but 1. I don't know how to do this from a unetbootin generated installer and 2. The average joe shouldn't need to be messing around with this sort of thing.

update: pressing the tab button on the unetbootin menu allowed me to add nomodeset and it seems to be starting. However I still believe this issue can give new users a bad first-time experience and needs to be fixed.

update2: The purple screen came up and it looked like it was going to boot with nomodeset... Sadly that went away and left me with a black screen.
    Hi John..

Well.. I don't have any ideas why newbie wants to try Quantal out in this period... If you were one of new users, please use Precise Pangolin (12.04 LTS). Quantal is still under RC.

Best Regards,
    Tista

EDIT
    I've found some article about your HP G6 laptop, and then this might help you:
    http://admaris.com/wp/blog/2012/07/1...-ubuntu-12-04/

It seems that your laptop would have some problems on backlight control via linux's acpi. I don't think it's Ubuntu's fault. Yeah means kernel problems, but anyway it could be solved by that workaround. If so, I could recommend Precise stable release for you at all.
    Last edited by tista; October 15th, 2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added EDIT
    -- Lazulum Gtk3 theming PPA: "Lazulum" New clean gtk3 theme Project.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This worked for me...HP dm4 with 12.04:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1817374

Same thing (mostly) as what has been suggested....my HP does not want to boot to anything but black with 12.10 but I have not had time to work on this.
    cheap hardware....LOTS of it

Beans

By this freeze stage of the development process for Quetzal I would have expected this bug to be fixed. It was reported a considerable amount of time ago.

Ps. I'm not a new user, I've been using Ubuntu since 2006. The reason I mentioned new users is that HP is the second largest PC manufacturer, and what we see in Quetzal this week is probably what the final is going to look like.
    Last edited by mr john; October 15th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.