Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best, cheap, usb dvb-t stick to use with Mythtv 0.25

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question What is the best, cheap, usb dvb-t stick to use with Mythtv 0.25

Dear All,

I have been looking all over to find what is the best dvb-t usb stick to use with v0.25. I have found lots of different ones but I'm unsure as to whether they have the drivers and/or MythTV will be able too use them.

A little info
    I currently have two dvb-s2 cards working fine and been controlled by a windows media remote.

As I just said I have a remote all ready and would wish to make sure that I can carry on using it and control the extra new input as well (the dvb-t).

Oh, by the way it is for use in the UK.

Thanks all.

Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What is the best, cheap, usb dvb-t stick to use with Mythtv 0.25

In order to find which cards are supported you should look at LinuxTV (MythBuntu also redirects to this site):

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_USB
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_Devices

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by langner View Post
    Dear All,

I have been looking all over to find what is the best dvb-t usb stick to use with v0.25. I have found lots of different ones but I'm unsure as to whether they have the drivers and/or MythTV will be able too use them.

A little info
    I currently have two dvb-s2 cards working fine and been controlled by a windows media remote.

As I just said I have a remote all ready and would wish to make sure that I can carry on using it and control the extra new input as well (the dvb-t).

Oh, by the way it is for use in the UK.

Thanks all.

Matt
    I think you will want dvb-t2 in UK but it would pay to check with someone local.

In myth the remote does not control the DVB card, it controls the frontend. The backend prgram controls the card. So have no worries, if your remote works now, it will continue to do so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for your replays and I will have a look into what you have posted.

So just to make sure I'm clear, if I get a usb DVB-T receiver I will still be able to change the channels from this receiver regardless if it comes with its own remote. Also if I pick one of the receivers off the list on linuxtv.org I can just plug and play so to speak (with the addition of mythtv backend).

Thanks
    Matt

Beans

Thanks for your replays and I will have a look into what you have posted.

So just to make sure I'm clear, if I get a usb DVB-T receiver I will still be able to change the channels from this receiver regardless if it comes with its own remote.
    yes
    Also if I pick one of the receivers off the list on linuxtv.org I can just plug and play so to speak (with the addition of mythtv backend).

Thanks
    Matt
    Once you have identified a card that looks OK it is always useful to come back here or the mythtv-users mailing list and ask for others' experience before rushing out to buy.

Don't forget you probably need DVB-T2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: What is the best, cheap, usb dvb-t stick to use with Mythtv 0.25

Dear All,

Thanks for your replays, I will get on to it as soon as I can. I'm a little busy this week with one thing and another, I will post which one I buy (taking note of the last comment) and let you know how I get on with it.

Thanks

Matthew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

DVB-T should work, unless you want to get the HD transmissions also, then you'll need DVB-T2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: What is the best, cheap, usb dvb-t stick to use with Mythtv 0.25

Dear All

I have been looking through the list, the very big list, trying to find a suitable usb stick and up to now I have found two from amazon.co.uk listed below. If you can or want, have a look at them and vote on the best one.

Vote T328B or Freecom

links
    Geniatech T328B
    Freecom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Oh, I forgot to say thanks in advance and if you think, or better yet, know that the two usb sticks are rubbish, please let me know.

Thanks
    Last edited by langner; October 20th, 2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh, I forgot to say thanks in advance and if you think, or better yet, know that the two usb sticks are rubbish, please let me know.

Thanks
    I have 2 Freecom sticks and 2 Hauppauge WinTV-SE sticks - they all work fine. The Freecoms are a bit annoying in that they cause mythbackend.log to fill up with errors all the time (something to do with PID filters). The WinTV's don't do that. The tuners cost me between £3 and £8 each, from eBay. I'd recommend looking there.

Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast