Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: could not download all repository indexes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    4

    could not download all repository indexes

    i ahve just got a pc with linux ubuntu 7.04. i am quite new to linux, when i try to install anything or updates i keep getting cannot download all repository indexes.
    i typed sudo apt-get update in terminal and this is what i got:

    fred@fred-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get update
    Password:
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty Release.gpg
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/main Translation-en_GB
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe Translation-en_GB
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe Translation-en_GB
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-updates Release.gpg
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-updates/main Translation-en_GB
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-security Release.gpg
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-security/main Translation-en_GB
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-security/universe Translation-en_GB
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty Release
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-updates Release
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-security Release
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/main Packages
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe Packages
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe Packages
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-updates/main Packages
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-security/main Packages
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-security/universe Packages
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/main Packages
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe Packages
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe Packages
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-updates/main Packages
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-security/main Packages
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty-security/universe Packages
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.189 80]
    Reading package lists... Done
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    fred@fred-desktop:~$

    tried updating ubuntu and get the same, could not download all repository indexs.
    if anyone could offer a solution, it would be much appreciated.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: could not download all repository indexes

    Hi daemon77, welcome to the forums

    7o4 reached its end of life back in 2008. We are running 12.04 these days.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: could not download all repository indexes

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    Hi daemon77, welcome to the forums

    7o4 reached its end of life back in 2008. We are running 12.04 these days.
    So wot do I have to do update the ubuntu. I have downloaded the latest (12.04) how do/ wot do I need to do yo install it?
    the latest version i have downloaded is an iso file do i have to extract this, i have read that i can install from a usb or disk, i have both. do i need to format the system or can i install it over 7o4. sorry for the newbie questions but like i said i am new to linux.
    Last edited by daemon77; October 9th, 2012 at 09:34 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: could not download all repository indexes

    Quote Originally Posted by daemon77 View Post
    So wot do I have to do update the ubuntu. I have downloaded the latest (12.04) how do/ wot do I need to do yo install it?
    the latest version i have downloaded is an iso file do i have to extract this, i have read that i can install from a usb or disk, i have both. do i need to format the system or can i install it over 7o4. sorry for the newbie questions but like i said i am new to linux.
    Instructions for making bootable CD"s or usb stick in either windows or ubuntu are on the download page.
    After making the bootable CD or usb stick boot up with the usb or cd inserted. You need to choose CD or usb as your first boot device in the BIOS.
    You will boot into a live session where nothing is installed on your system.
    Click the try button to continue the live session to see how it works on your system.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: could not download all repository indexes

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Instructions for making bootable CD"s or usb stick in either windows or ubuntu are on the download page.
    After making the bootable CD or usb stick boot up with the usb or cd inserted. You need to choose CD or usb as your first boot device in the BIOS.
    You will boot into a live session where nothing is installed on your system.
    Click the try button to continue the live session to see how it works on your system.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    290
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: could not download all repository indexes

    Backup and copy over all of your personal files before you install Ubuntu. Maybe Linux Mint is more user-friendly, well at least according some users. Linux Mint 13 with codecs (or without) is based on upstream Ubuntu 12.04, Linux kernel 3.2, the desktop environment MATE 1.2 or Cinnamon 1.4.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: could not download all repository indexes

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyfang View Post
    Backup and copy over all of your personal files before you install Ubuntu. Maybe Linux Mint is more user-friendly, well at least according some users. Linux Mint 13 with codecs (or without) is based on upstream Ubuntu 12.04, Linux kernel 3.2, the desktop environment MATE 1.2 or Cinnamon 1.4.
    If their computer was running 7.04, that indicates that it'd be about too old for Linux Mint; at least IMO.
    To the OP; you haven't given us any specs on your machine but if it is fairly old you'd probably be better of running Xubuntu or Lubuntu, which is Ubuntu with a more lightweight desktop environment.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: could not download all repository indexes

    Good point cortman. X or Lubuntu may be a better choice, depends on your puter specs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: could not download all repository indexes

    cheers guys i am going to user either lubuntu or xubuntu. the computer is about 6 yr old and i will be upgrading all necessary parts to get it up to date, but until then i will go with the light versions. all my computers run windows and this is my first step into linux. i have a sgs3 phone which is open source android, which i believe is linux based, that is as close as i have come to linux.
    is making a bootable usb or disc the same for xubuntu/lubuntu as it is fir ubuntu.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    290
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: could not download all repository indexes

    Quote Originally Posted by daemon77 View Post
    all my computers run windows and this is my first step into linux.
    Wubi Windows installer is a very easy way to try to install and uninstall *buntu. I would choose Lubuntu. Some consider Wubi to be buggy, since installed on a virtual disk on the NTFS filesystem, which makes it more sensitive. But I'm using Wubi Lubuntu 12.04 without any problems, beyond a fresh normal *buntu installation. You could also choose to wait until the Ubuntu 12.10 Final Release in October 18th. See also: Wubi Uninstallation

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •