Thread: MFC-J625DW how to install scanner using wifi connection?

Beans

MFC-J625DW how to install scanner using wifi connection?

Hi there,

I just received the multifunction-printer Brother MFC-J625DW.
    I just installed the cups-drivers so printing already works fine.
    Unfortunetely I do not have any clue how get the integrated scanner working using the wifi connection?

Some background information:

the brothers multifunction device IP adress is 192.178.1.26 it has been successfully added to the network
    my notebook running xubuntu is also connected to the network via wifi connection.

but how to find and install the scanner?!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: MFC-J625DW how to install scanner using wifi connection?

Quote Originally Posted by downunderthunder View Post
    Hi there,

I just received the multifunction-printer Brother MFC-J625DW.
    I just installed the cups-drivers so printing already works fine.
    Unfortunetely I do not have any clue how get the integrated scanner working using the wifi connection?

Some background information:

the brothers multifunction device IP adress is 192.178.1.26 it has been successfully added to the network
    my notebook running xubuntu is also connected to the network via wifi connection.

but how to find and install the scanner?!?

Go Here and download the brscan4 .deb file.

Then follow the instructions to install over a network.

If you can,try to verify it works on a USB connection first.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

wow that was easy now the device entirely works fine for me.

thx a lot

Beans

Sorry to bring this subject back, but would like to get your expertise on how to set up this since you have succesfully done it, here's my setup;

Laptop with Kubuntu 12.10
    Printer : Brother MFC-J625DW (same as you)

I don't need the scan, just the printer installed via WiFi. I've donwloaded the linux drivers from Brother's website, installed it (I've gone into 'Printers > Add new Printer', he detected the networked printer, I had to pinpoint where the files were and he installed, the printer seems to be correctly installed, it says 'Printer ready', but when I try to print, nothing happens. I don't see it under the Kubuntu print manager, neither on the Windows print manager and the printer itself does nothing.

Can someone help me on this one, telling me what I have to do, step by step procedure to get this work?

On a sidenote, everytime I boot into Kubuntu, it does not remember my WiFi password, I have to re-enter it everytime I log into the system, it that normal or is it a problem? I don't see any checkbox saying 'Remember this password' or 'Connect automatically'.

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pplante19 View Post
    Sorry to bring this subject back, but would like to get your expertise on how to set up this since you have succesfully done it, here's my setup;

Laptop with Kubuntu 12.10
    Printer : Brother MFC-J625DW (same as you)

I don't need the scan, just the printer installed via WiFi. I've donwloaded the linux drivers from Brother's website, installed it (I've gone into 'Printers > Add new Printer', he detected the networked printer, I had to pinpoint where the files were and he installed, the printer seems to be correctly installed, it says 'Printer ready', but when I try to print, nothing happens. I don't see it under the Kubuntu print manager, neither on the Windows print manager and the printer itself does nothing.

Can someone help me on this one, telling me what I have to do, step by step procedure to get this work?

On a sidenote, everytime I boot into Kubuntu, it does not remember my WiFi password, I have to re-enter it everytime I log into the system, it that normal or is it a problem? I don't see any checkbox saying 'Remember this password' or 'Connect automatically'.

Thanks a lot!
    If this makes sense for you, I've had excellent luck installing Brother printers using the script here. You should run it from an account with sudo privileges.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...rn.html#f00104

It will download the correct drivers, ask what network connection you want to use, etc. etc.

Beans

Ok, I will try that tonight (I don't have the laptop with me) and come back with the answer if it works or not.

Thanks for the input! Appreciated