Thread: Change date and time

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Change date and time

I set my date and time to sync with the Internet time, but it does not show the right time. How can I set the time zone so it will show the right time?

Right now I set the location to Dallas, Texas to try to use the Central Time zone, but the time does not change.

Thanks.
    --
    I am:
    .NET web developer || WordPress and Drupal lover || eCommerce web site developer || Ph.D student using Ubuntu for research || Occasional blogger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Change date and time

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Is the time off just in the hour or is it off in the minutes and seconds too?
    Last edited by TheFu; October 10th, 2012 at 07:21 PM.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CodingBeaver View Post
    Right now I set the location to Dallas, Texas to try to use the Central Time zone, but the time does not change.
    I set mine to Chicago and it syncs rather well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The hour is off.

I would like to set my time zone to America/Central Time, but there is no such time zone in the drop down list. I recall that I can change the time zone in the previous version of Ubuntu after the installation, but I can't find it in 12.10.
    --
    I am:
    .NET web developer || WordPress and Drupal lover || eCommerce web site developer || Ph.D student using Ubuntu for research || Occasional blogger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

In time / date the world map has grid lines and you click on the map to change the zones.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just found out not only the hour is off, but also the minute. If I set me time zone to Dallas, if my time is 9:30AM, then Ubuntu shows the time is 4:35AM. It seems that the time zone offset didn't apply, and the minute is 5 minutes earlier. Is it a bug or is it just me?
    --
    I am:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CodingBeaver View Post
    Is it a bug or is it just me?
    I'm inclined to think it is just your system, but it could be a bug of some type that only you are seeing.

I've never seen anything like that which couldn't be traced back to a firewall blocking NTP or a virtual machine host providing the wrong time or some other time-server being incorrect. Hibernating or putting a machine into standby has caused time issues for me too, until I rebooted.

Could your CMOS battery be dead? This is often why system time is incorrect after a machine has been powered off. Also, be certain that your BIOS and system time are set to store GMT/UTC, not local time.

NTP doesn't change the time immediately, it takes hours to slowly migrate the time to be correct without a clear disruption. We can force a time using the rdate function.

OTOH, I haven't used the GUI to control time ... ever. I'm a CLI person. After setting the TZ during OS install, I install the ntp package and point the NTP towards my LAN time server. I can't imagine this should be necessary, but I'm more comfortable with this time management. Most issues that I have with time is on Windows machines.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Really nothing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Really nothing?
    Really nothing. See the attached screen shots for Dallas and Chicago time zone. If I use UTC time, then the hour shows the current hour, but it is 5 minutes earlier than the actual time.

My CMOS shows the current date and time. It could be our company's firewall is blocking the port.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    I am: