Thread: Best simple notepad - advice please

Beans

Best simple notepad - advice please

There are several notepad apps available. Can someone advise me which I should install. I want to keep it open on my home workspace, so it should look nice - preferably like a real note pad. I want to be able to turn/flip the page (a nice sound affect and animation would be good). I have no need of indexing or linking as I just want to jot down things that I will need on that day to aid a failing short term memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Best simple notepad - advice please

Are you talking something like knotes or basket? There is also Zim, which is rather wiki-like. Or do you mean a light weight text editor? In that case, leafpad, kate or geany might work for you.

Beans

Simple is what I want. Something that looks more like a real life notepad than a computer application. I don't want the tool bar that you get with a text editor.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

All the simple text editors (not advanced) I tried so far (Leafpad, Gedit, jEdit, KWrite, Mint's Pluma) have what it takes to do their job very well, but I am not aware of any of them having flipping effects, as it defeats their usual purpose of being simple and focused. Most of them do support tabs though.

As for the looks, I really do like Pluma, but it is not available in Ubuntu Software Center... it is a Mint fork of gedit.
    Last edited by Neptunno; October 9th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber72 View Post
    Simple is what I want. Something that looks more like a real life notepad than a computer application. I don't want the tool bar that you get with a text editor.
    In Ubuntu default's gedit, you can disable the top tool bar in View -> uncheck Toolbar, while keeping the tabbed view of the note files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    Actually that one seems pretty nice, thanks for sharing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have such application in Ubuntu software center. I am using Xpad because it's simple and looks like real notepad, but there are many to choose.

Regards.
    Last edited by GreatDanton; October 10th, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typing mistake

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL