Thread: CD Drive Not Functioning

Beans

CD Drive Not Functioning

The CD drive on my laptop does not show when a disc is inserted. I originally installed ubuntu as a wubi, then about a week ago did a full install. I believe this may have happened as a result of that full install...I had definitely used the cd drive in ubuntu. Disk Utility shows the drive (Optiarc CD-RW CRX880A) but when I put a disc in nothing happens, and it does not show up in the home folder.

Computer is a Compaq Presario C500. Everything else has been working great.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: CD Drive Not Functioning

tmcq; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

What is set in System Setting->Details->Removable Media ???

Setting the default to another option may resolve this issue.

hth <==BDQ

Beans

The settings were all what one would expect...video player for DVD, Autorun for software, etc. I tried changing them to "open folder" but nothing...I don't think the drive is even spinning when I insert a disc.

Beans
    Distro

Don't know is not a good response on my part......
    when you put a disk in the disk drive do you see the disk in the media folder in the file manager ? 12.04 : launcher->folder icon->File System(lower left pane)->media

regards <==BDQ

Beans

No...that is how I noticed. When I put a disk in, it does not spin, nor does the home folder show that there even is a drive. I can open the drive by pressing the button, and the light comes on. The drive does appear in disk utility, but that's it.

Beans

Bumping...hoping that someone might have an idea here. It would be nice to use my CD drive again

Beans

CD Drive Not Functioning

Going to try to rejuvenate this thread because I really hope to fix this problem. I have a Compaq Presario c500 with an Optiarc CD-RW CRX880A optical drive. I originally installed Ubuntu as a WUBI install inside windows vista, and the drive worked fine. Since reinstalling as a stand alone (no more windows) the drive shows up in disk utility, but no-where else. Putting a disk into the drive does make the drive spin, but nothing shows up. Disk utility shows "No Media Detected" and Home Folder does not even acknowledge that there is a drive. Other than this one problem (and no battery life) the computer works great....PLEASE someone help me fix!!!

Beans
    Distro

200+ people have viewed your situation, as no one has a software solution to offer,
    do this and see:
    set the cd device as 1st boot priority in bios.
    boot an installCD (preferably ubuntu) and see if the drive even works.
    still try'n to help <== BDQ