Thread: software runs better on Linux

Beans

software runs better on Linux

it seems to me that software runs better on Linux

has anyone else noticed this ?

i noticed it comparing my quad-core Athalon II Win7 system with a 32 bit UBUNTU running in 1GB RAM on a single 2.4 GHz cpu...

yep the older computer was a lot slower but the software seems to run better

anyone else notice this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: software runs better on Linux

Yup. Better kernel + better C compiler + less bloat = much faster. Just wish Linux was more stable. I still use it though....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not sure what you mean by "runs better." I regularly use Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu. I haven't noticed any software definitely running "better" on any one platform than the other two.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

compared on the same hardware? or different
    a 2.4 Ghz sandy bridge cpu will make a 3Ghz athlon II look slow easily (megahertz myth)
    if same hardware why use 32bit os on 64bit hardware?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I suspect the OP is referring to an old 2.4 GHz P4. I run Ubuntu on some farily ancient 32bit hardware with no problems. For example 12.04 on an old P4 3.0 GHz with 1.5 GB of RAM and 10.04 on an old P4 M 1.8 GHz laptop with 1 GHz of RAM. The latter has a working floppy drive and still has its Windows 2000 logo.

So if you wish to be eco-freindly and keep using old hardware, add RAM and install GNU/Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "runs better." I regularly use Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu. I haven't noticed any software definitely running "better" on any one platform than the other two.
    2 examples:
    1. LibreOffice Base: won't run at all on Win7 works fine on Ubuntu 12.04 -- even on the old 'puter

2. Firefox: recent trouble with certain web pages -- flickr ( seems to be fixed now ) , C/Net ( can't log in ) .

3. HP 6500 desk jet: print driver wont scan documents in win7; works fine on Linux -- even on the old box.

but software that is running right has a crisp feel to it, not "loggy". it's like the feeling you get behind the wheel of a good car: YES! This is right!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It also seems like everything based on OpenGL runs much better on Linux than in Windows. But then I guess Windows has DirectX..

Beans

I found the internet to be a lot faster using Ubuntu instead of Wind7. Pages load faster on ubuntu.