Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't boot after installing proprietary video drivers

Beans

Won't boot after installing proprietary video drivers

My computer has an AMD Radeon HD6890 graphics card, and when Precise was running I had installed the proprietary drivers from AMD's website. After I updated to Quantal, Ubuntu would not detect my monitor's correct resolution, among other things. I went back on AMD's website to see if there were updated drivers and found some. Then I uninstalled the old drivers (which seemed to fix the resolution issue, but prevented Unity from running properly since the dock was no longer displayed). I installed the new drivers, following the instructions on this page: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu. After rebooting, before I reached the login screen I get stuck at a terminal window that I can't type in. Not really skilled with linux enough to know what to do next at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Won't boot after installing proprietary video drivers

try booting with nomodeset in your kernel boot line
    hold shift to get menu to edit
    if that does not work what happens when you run
    sudo service lightdm start
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Nomodeset was no different than before. I can't run the command since I can't open a command prompt. When I mentioned a terminal earlier, it really appears to be kernel output when starting up the os (or at least something like that, not entirely sure). In any case, I can't do anything from that screen aside from pressing the power button, which will start the system shutting down and displaying output along the way. Sorry if I'm not quite clear with what I'm saying, I'm still relatively new to linux os

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

when it boots hit ctrl+alt+f1

you can hold shift while booting to get to a menu with recovery mode in it
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Recovery mode booted already using tty1. Typed the command in the prompt and it took me to a blank screen with a cursor flashing. Back in tty1, it said that the service had started.

Beans

okay, at this point uninistall the proprietary driver and install the open source driver. Than dual boot between 12.04/12.10 see if the proprietary work in 12.04.

Amd doesn't know how to write decent drivers but they'll develop excellent hardware..such a shame. But it's the opposite with Nvidia, just stick with the drivers from nvidia as they develop linux drivers. Amd does as well but even there windows drivers are gawd awful.

If you have no real work done in 12.10 test the proprietary driver in 12.04, if it works it's an xorg server problem which means you have to downgrade xorg server to what it was in 12.04.

Beans

I did try and uninstall the drivers earlier, but lo and behold the uninstall script is missing. Probably wouldn't work anyways though, since the only usable command prompt I can access is in recovery mode when the filesystem is read only.

Beans

hey mjzanga - any luck? just ran into the same issue last night (same AMD Radeon HD6890 graphics card). Pretty stuck here..

Beans

No luck, not sure where to go with this now. Gonna ask around and see if I can get tips though

Beans

I had this happen too. I finally just did

sudo ssh -X user@hostname

then ran sudo synaptic

I uninstalled the drivers and rebooted.

Would have had to drop into a term

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast