So stupid me decided to update from 12.04 to 12.10 Beta-2 because I figured that my luck had changed when dealing with OS upgrades (I've had a data-ruining problem with every OS upgrade since Windows 95).

I updated to 12.10 Beta-2 through the Update Manager in 12.04. After going through the entire installation and the final "restart the computer" step I was greeted to a lovely error screen. The screen has a bunch of numbers (sorry, I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to retrieve an error report) and the lines "failed to idle channel 1", followed by a couple seconds of a frozen screen, followed by another line with "PFIFO playlist failed" (may not be exact wording but definitely PFIFO playlist).

I've googled (through my phone) to people saying that adding "nomodeset" to the GRUB loader will load the OS. And it did... somewhat. I got my desktop loaded, but with no sidebar or topbar, and only my background and desktop icons. Clicking on anything makes me send an error report, which makes me send an error report for sending the error report because it can't send the original error report. Somehow I got Firefox working and got on here to post the problem.

I know the problem has to do with my graphics card (nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti) but the "nomodeset" workaround is worthless in helping me fix the problem. I can't access any windows or a terminal and I have no idea how Firefox even started (I think it had something to do with the failed bug reports).

Any help on how to fix this would be wonderful. Even if it were to go back to 12.04. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Ubuntu. I just want my computer to work correctly again x.X