Thread: Swap Partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Swap Partition

I have 6GB RAM , can i delete the my SWAP partition so as to speed up my ubuntu ?

Swap creation takes a toll on my boot time.

Beans

Re: Swap Partition

You COULD, I suppose. It shouldn't effect your boot time very much, though. And within Ubuntu itself, having it available would make processes faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Creation of swap during boot takes 10-15 seconds
    That is why i want to delete swap

Beans

Always keep a swap partition or file because Linux might accident try to access it and cause your system to experience freezes.

Just delete it and make a swap file, you just lose the ability to hibernate
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Hidden!

You could just use gparted and turn swap off...or...

You could play around with swappiness

More here

Beans

it shouldn't take any more than a few cycles to mount the swap partition, check for yourself with
    Code:
    sudo swapon -s
    and take note of the path
    Code:
    sudo swapoff -a
    sudo swapon <path>
    if something is taking 10-15 seconds, I would look a little deeper to see what it is

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by ranger1021994 View Post
    Creation of swap during boot takes 10-15 seconds
    That is why i want to delete swap
    that sounds really unlikely, the swap partition is already on your hard drive, ready to use. (And if mounting the swap partiton iss low, then that's a completely different problem, something related to your hard drive, mounting the drives etc.).

Anyway, removing swap will not speed up your system in any way, and might even have the opposite effect on some situations.

edit: how did you come to the conclusion that turning on swap is slowing your boot? Did you use a bootchart? IF you did, can we see it? Or if you are just basing this on messages output to the screen during non-graphical boot, keep in mind that most messages are actually hidden unless you remove the "quiet" option from kernel parameters in Grub. So what you see on the screen is often a message about a task that has already completed, not something that the system is currently working on. And any slowdowns or boot freezes can be because of something completely different than what's visible on the screen...
    Last edited by mcduck; October 1st, 2012 at 08:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    that sounds really unlikely, the swap partition is already on your hard drive, ready to use. (And if mounting the swap partiton iss low, then that's a completely different problem, something related to your hard drive, mounting the drives etc.).

Anyway, removing swap will not speed up your system in any way, and might even have the opposite effect on some situations.

edit: how did you come to the conclusion that turning on swap is slowing your boot? Did you use a bootchart? IF you did, can we see it? Or if you are just basing this on messages output to the screen during non-graphical boot, keep in mind that most messages are actually hidden unless you remove the "quiet" option from kernel parameters in Grub. So what you see on the screen is often a message about a task that has already completed, not something that the system is currently working on. And any slowdowns or boot freezes can be because of something completely different than what's visible on the screen...
    I ran dmesg and found that swap creation took almost 22 seconds.
    Sometimes dmesg shows its udevd taking 22 sec and sometimes it is swap creation.