Thread: PulseAudio Mute/Unmute Button

Beans

PulseAudio Mute/Unmute Button

Hey, I'm running Ubuntu Studio 12.04.1 on a Macbook Pro 5,2
    Out-of-the-box, the volume keys on my keyboard work, and show an overlay of the effect they have on the volume in the top right.

Except for the "unmute" command - I get the visual overlay feedback showing that audio 'is' muted, but it has no real effect (audio stays muted) until I manually go into PulseAudio menu, and click "unmute".

So, media keys mute, increase volume, and decrease volume, but do not unmute.

Anyone else with similar problem, or proposed solution?

Beans

Re: PulseAudio Mute/Unmute Button

Hello.

There should be a 'keybindings' menu somewhere under system (not at an ubuntu machine so cant remember where exactly). It may be worth having a look there and checking if the mute/unmute key is actually bound to the unmute command.

Cheers

Beans

The key bindings menu (under settings -> keyboard) don't have the media keys listed. It seems like PulseAudio itself is listening for those presses?

Beans

Hmmm.... well I have to admit I dont really use pulseaudio (or media keys for that matter). Last time I set it up I think I had already removed pulse and was using just alsa.

Try looking here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=987149

The ideas near the bottom of the page sound promising. Maybe binding the mute one of those one liners to your mute key might work.

Good luck.

Cheers