Thread: Update-Manager

Beans

Update-Manager

This is the message I get whenever I open Update-Manager.(Ubuntu Software Center doesn't open either).

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_main_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Update-Manager

Quote Originally Posted by devrat43 View Post
    This is the message I get whenever I open Update-Manager.(Ubuntu Software Center doesn't open either).

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_main_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'
    Quick easy fix- in a terminal-

Code:
    sudo rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists/*
    sudo apt-get update
    This just replaces the package list files.
    GNU/Linux Notes || Linux Command Line Learning Resources

Copy.com offers 15 GB free cloud storage plus 5 GB for both of us when you follow this referral link.

Beans

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by devrat43 View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome- mark as [SOLVED] using the thread tools in the upper right. Thanks, and good luck!
    GNU/Linux Notes || Linux Command Line Learning Resources

Copy.com offers 15 GB free cloud storage plus 5 GB for both of us when you follow this referral link.

Beans

Very happy to have found this helpful thread, as I encountered this problem today.

Perhaps an apt-get command for deleting the lists would facilitate us non-experts in clearing the problem quickly and safely. (I'd tried "clean" and "purge" before turning to the Internet.)

Sudo recursive remove isn't something we (non-experts) should, ordinarily, feel happy to enter. However, the specific command line, provided by cortman, looked correct, in the context of the problem, and worked for me - with no adverse effects noticed, so far.

Grateful thanks.

That's why I love Ubuntu - had same problem, this "fixed" it.
    sudo apt-get update

thanks cortman i.e. = This just replaces the package list files.

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Quick easy fix- in a terminal-

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    This just replaces the package list files.
    cortman thanks!