Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 12.04 shutdown freezes

UPDATE

I'm going ahead and marking this thread as solved because since I pulled the Nvidia drivers and started using the nouveau driver I haven't had any trouble.
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
    UPDATE

I'm going ahead and marking this thread as solved because since I pulled the Nvidia drivers and started using the nouveau driver I haven't had any trouble.
    As a matter of fact,. it's still a bug so it shouldn't be marked as a solved thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by firekage View Post
    As a matter of fact,. it's still a bug so it shouldn't be marked as a solved thread.
    The decision to mark the thread as solved or not is the OPs alone. Usually a solved thread means that a proposed solution in the thread or something the OP did solved the OPs problem. While still a bug, the OPs problem is solved.

Note that the solution to the OPs problem can and not always will be the solution for other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

I just had my laptop fail to shut down again after having installed the latest Nvidia driver and removing the old one. I'll come back and edit if it happens again.

Edit: The problem hasn't gone away. It's happened several times since I first posted this. Any advice to solve it, rather than work around it?
    Last edited by wrin; May 22nd, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Beans

My 12.04 system with a Nvidia card shuts down fine, the one with an ATI card won't shut down without using the rocker button on the power supply. And yes I know this can create problems on the disk but it's the only way to shut it down once it hangs.

Suspend works though, otherwise I'd be reinstalling 11.10.

Just saw the post about logging off first. When I do that the system shuts down fine.
    Last edited by bturrie; May 21st, 2012 at 04:46 PM.

Beans

This may help some with the shutdown issue. I have an ATI card and just installed 12.04 after using 10.10 Maverick until the end. I have only been a Ubuntu user for a year now, switching from Windows. I have been very impressed by Maverick and was initially by 12.04 but after some updates got the same shutdown problem. I tried all the suggested methods and initially logging out then shutting down worked but after a while that too froze at the Ubuntu splash screen with the 'lights' freezing. This began to happen every time regardless of what method I used. I was using Unity but tried switching to Gnome 3 however the problem persisted with every shutdown after being logged on for more than about 10 minutes. I finally installed Cinnamon 1.4 and have managed eight problem free shutdowns from the Menu after long hours switched on. I also really like the desktop which has excellent workflow. This was how I installed it, taken from some web site:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cinnamon

This to me suggests it is not specifically a kernel problem or a graphics driver problem but at the core a Gnome problem or maybe the way Gnome is currently interacting with these that Cinnamon does differently, since it is a Gnome fork. Another test would be to see if the problem persists using Mate 1.2, which is a Gnome 2 fork. So luckily, fingers crossed, I've been saved from weeks of wasted work setting up and configuring Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans

I found this to work out for me. I'm also on a dell 1720.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/13264...l-to-shut-down

1 down vote
    I have the same issue. I have two D630s, one running 12.04 with Unity and another running 12.04 with Gnome Shell.
    When using Gnome Shell with the post-release updates driver I was unable to restart, on reverting to the version-current driver the system restarts normally.
    When using Unity with the version-current driver I was unable to restart, on updating to the post-release updates driver the system restarts normally.
    After changing the driver a restart is required for the new driver to kick in. This will be a manual restart but from then on your system should restart normally again.
    Hope this helps anyone with the same annoying problem.

Beans

OK boys I think I might have a solution to your problems because I had the same problem on numerous distros when using NVIDIA drivers and it took me about 6 months to figure out what causes the problem. The freeze on reboot/shutdown doesn't happen with the Nouveau drivers but those are still not good enough to me. Although they're getting better.

So anyway, it is the boot splash that causes the problem. What you have to do is open your file manager as root. For those who don't know how to do it, you open the terminal and type sudo nautilus or su - c 'nautilus'. Nautilus is obviously just an example , so if you're using thunar or pcmanfm you type in su -c 'thunar' etc etc.

Now, you go to etc/default/grub and you look for the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    and you change it to:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

Then you look for the line:
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
    and you uncomment it and change the resolution to the actual resolution of your screen.
    (Mine is 1366x768)
    Once you do that, you add an additional line right under and it goes like this:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1366x768
    So when you're done , everything should look like this:
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1366x768

Now you save it, open a new terminal window and type in sudo update-grub
    You reboot and that's it.
    Obviously you won't have plymouth anymore but console output instead. However I think it's definitely worth it and I rather have working NVIDIA drivers without splash screen than the other way around. This solution works for me and it works for all the Ubuntu based distros. I hope it will work for you guys and let me know if it did. This was really bothering me for a long time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking Re: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Quote Originally Posted by MrCorleone87 View Post
    OK boys I think I might have a solution to your problems because I had the same problem on numerous distros when using NVIDIA drivers and it took me about 6 months to figure out what causes the problem. The freeze on reboot/shutdown doesn't happen with the Nouveau drivers but those are still not good enough to me. Although they're getting better.

So anyway, it is the boot splash that causes the problem. What you have to do is open your file manager as root. For those who don't know how to do it, you open the terminal and type sudo nautilus or su - c 'nautilus'. Nautilus is obviously just an example , so if you're using thunar or pcmanfm you type in su -c 'thunar' etc etc.

Now, you go to etc/default/grub and you look for the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    and you change it to:

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
    and you uncomment it and change the resolution to the actual resolution of your screen.
    (Mine is 1366x768)
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1366x768

Obviously you won't have plymouth anymore but console output instead. However I think it's definitely worth it and I rather have working NVIDIA drivers without splash screen than the other way around. This solution works for me and it works for all the Ubuntu based distros. I hope it will work for you guys and let me know if it did. This was really bothering me for a long time

Thanks MrCorleone87, that did it for me. Like you, I can do without the splash as long as it shuts down like its supposed to. Now, where can I help in adding to the list of bugs on this one?

laserman

Beans

Talking Re: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Quote Originally Posted by MrCorleone87 View Post

and you change it to:

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
    (Mine is 1366x768)
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1366x768

Worked flawlessly on my Sony Vaio VGN-FW560F,that uses an ATI Radeon 4560 video driver.
    Thanks!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast