Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caps lock is too slow to turn off in Ubuntu

Beans

Caps lock is too slow to turn off in Ubuntu

THis is a strange problem. NOtice how the beginning of my sentences include two capitals? Well, over the years I have developed a terrible habit... and it may be too late to fix. Instead of holding shift like a normal person to capitalize my works, I hit Caps Lock, then hit the letter, then hit Caps Lock again. PRetty weird huh? I Took an official government typing test recently and scored 99 words a minute, so it hasn't been a huge hindrance until now that I use Ubuntu. IN Ubuntu, often when I do my crazy method of typing, the Caps LOck won't turn off fast enough. IT's not my keyboard. I didn't have this problem in WIndows. IT's extremely annoying. Is there a cure for this?

THank YOu...

Beans

Re: Caps lock is too slow to turn off in Ubuntu

BUmp

Beans

BUmp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A long time ago someone else here asked the same question. There is no answer that I'm aware of. I encouraged that poster to file a bug report with Xorg, but I don't believe they did that.

The Xorg developers probably never noticed the problem.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have had a play around in System Settings> Keyboard> Accessibility

and found that if you select the "bounce keys" and move the slider all the way to the left (short delay) it has an effect on how quickly the Caps Lock takes to react.
    I did try to replicate your issue but I just cannot seem to type like that!!

Might be worth a look though.

Beans

I'm not seeing anything saying "bounce keys," although I do see "repeat keys," which deals with key presses when the key is held down, which isn't the problem I'm having.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you are using 11.10 look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu...ouncekeys.html

hope it helps

Beans

SAme problem. I was taught to use shift key but somewhere along the line changed to caps lock.

TYping speed potential can be higher for some people using caps lock because it avoids the process requiring the brain to perform a simultaneous key press.

IF you can press three keys faster than pressing two keys simulataneously, then you should be using caps lock. IT comes down to brain-hand coordination speed and then what feels more logical for the individual. I use my left pinky finger to quickly double tap the caps lock key whilst sneaking a character in between with another finger... it feels less interruptive and more efficient for me. I've always experienced a slight stall in speed with the simultaneous key press which renders it a slower process, but this may not be the same for everyone.

Beans

plasticcorndog ; You wouln't state my problem with a better explanation. I did recognize this caps lock delay too. Still no solution? WOuld be very HAppy to fix it

Beans

I have the same problem... HAs someone found a solution yet??
    The funny thing is that the delay only occurs when turn caps off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast