Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
The best practice would be to make a backup of your existing Microsoft Windows 7 partition as a safety precaution before you decide to do anything.

The other best practice would be to install Microsoft Windows 7 in a guest virtual machine on the same PC. This will avoid many problems especially with suspend or hibernation or encryption.

For your purposes, I would recommend that you purchase and install the latest version of VM Ware Workstation 9 64 bit. VM Ware Workstation 9 is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, and 7 and GNU/Linux including Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service. I have VM Ware Workstation 8.0.4 64 bit installed on my Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service. VM Ware Workstation 9 will offer you near native performance on your PC for Microsoft Windows 7 32 or 64 bit in a guest virtual machine and it fully supports Aero features with 3D graphics hardware acceleration. It also supports USB, Firewire, eSATA, and PCI pass through. Finally, you can make backup snapshots of your guest virtual machines and you can encrypt them using AES CBC mode 256 bits 14 rounds for additional security.

Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.1.22 64 bit is a good free and open source alternative and I use it for my Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 even though I have VM Ware Workstation 8.0.4 64 bit. One thing that you need to know is that VM Ware Workstation 9 supports Ubuntu 12.04 32 and 64 bit as both the host and guest operating system. You won't need to download a third party patch to compile the Linux kernel in order to get the VMNet driver to compile properly which you have to do so with VM Ware Workstation 8.x 64 bit with Ubuntu 12.04.1 32 or 64 bit Long Term Service.

In the end, VM Ware Workstation 9 will offer you the most amount of hardware and software compatibility and it will offer you long term support if you purchase a support contract. It is suitable for enterprise production environments so it is super stable. I have found that Oracle VM Virtualbox and the free and open source Virtualbox OSE within the standard Ubuntu Software Center to be slower and support for the Microsoft Windows 7 Aero is experimental.

If you plan to work with 3D hardware accelerated graphics such as PC games and you do graphics intensive computations such as video editing, photo editing, gaming, or 3D graphics modeling or if you use your AMD or Nvidia GPU as a second processor for say mathematically intensive computations such as trying to crack encrypted, salted, and hashed data, then you must use VM Ware Workstation 9 64 bit for the most speed and performance for your guest virtual machines. Oracle VM Virtualbox does not offer these features or capabilities or performance.
So, after reading your post let me ask you this:

imagine the scenario - i have windows 7 running the games League of Legend, Football manager 12 and PES 12 smoothly in it.

if i delete everything and fresh install ubuntu 12.04 - then install windows 7 on the VM Ware Workstation 9 that you suggest, would i be able to run those games in it without any issue of performance? or could they be laggy or not running at all?

Best regards and tks in advance!