Thread: Unity much Slow in VirtualBox than 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unity much Slow in VirtualBox than 12.04

Anyone experience this it is significantly slower at bringing up the side bar and unity dash, i have 12.04 and 12.10 installed 12.04 is using unity 2d so i am wondering if its due to this option being dropped ?

Any tips to get better performance from the interface on 12.10 or are there known problems ?

Not the virtual machine does not have true 3d option available so that is likely part of the cause but its a very significant drop in performance.

Beans

Re: Unity much Slow in VirtualBox than 12.04

I think you answered your own question.

Beans
    Distro

I guess i did, but as 3d is not required i would have still expected similar performance, perhaps i will try turning 3d acceleration of and see if it works faster

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu now uses llvmpipe and the CPU to render 2D, instead of the driver that uses the video board. I wonder if there will be any improvements as time goes on with that llvmpipe?
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

type 'nvidia-settings Exec=nvidia-settings --assign="SyncToVBlank=0" in the terminal and press Enter.

This will close 'Sync to VBlank' of opengl, and virtualbox should run more smoothly.