Thread: someone *finally* makes the game I want, but of course no linux compatibility

Beans

someone *finally* makes the game I want, but of course no linux compatibility

I've posted this before but my favorite game of all time is Moonbase Commander. It's a small game few people have ever heard of but has very innovative gameplay that me and my friends love. Sadly the original has been dead for about 10 years now. I've been trying to keep a project to make a FOSS version of Moonbase Commander going but I'm pretty much the only active person and I'm not a good enough coder to do it on my own so it's sort of lapsed. Today I ran across an indie company making a game called Kingdom Commander that is essentially a Moonbase Commander remake just like I've always wanted. Of course since it uses the unity web plugin it's not linux compatible. I'm not really surprised of course, few companies worry about linux compatibility, but I do find it frustrating.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

Re: someone *finally* makes the game I want, but of course no linux compatibility

There's always WINE and Native Client in the works.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Beans

Re: someone *finally* makes the game I want, but of course no linux compatibility

Can't use the unity plugin in wine, it has a garbage rating on wineHQ and I tried it myself to just to make sure. Got IE to work in wine but unity plugin failed no matter what. Waiting for the linux plugin isn't something I trust (too many years of waiting and seeing companies never port). Admittedly when the game finally offers a download (rather then the browser version they have now) that might successfully work with wine.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.

Beans

Does the original work in Wine? It was designed for Win98 and XP so I suspect it would run in Wine without much difficulty.

Beans

Could you talk with these guys, say your a fan, and ask about Linux stuff, maybe even volunteer if you have some work under your belt?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 on talking with the guys. If it helps try referring to the Humble Indie Bundle in a nice way. http://humblebundle.com Might help?
    This is my signature

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thnewguy View Post
    Does the original work in Wine? It was designed for Win98 and XP so I suspect it would run in Wine without much difficulty.
    The original game works almost perfectly in wine. Unfortunately the original game had some serious flaws with it's networking that made multiplayer almost unusable even in windows. The only online play was through the gamespy client. You could play LAN from in the game but it often wouldn't see the hosts. Also even if you managed to get connected people would get dropped quite often. Now take those issues and then add wine into the mix and you'll see what I don't bother trying to play the original with wine. At least for multiplayer, single player is flawless though that gets old really fast. It's multiplayer that I really want, and for awhile I wasn't alone with this. About 7 years ago after you couldn't play online anymore because of gamespy me and a few other fans I used to play Moonbase Commander with decided to start a FOSS project simply so that we could play online again (it's the link in my sig). We decided to recreate it from scratch since even the windows users were having trouble. One of the guys was a really good programmer and he was the one who started the project with the rest of us helping as we could. Sadly he got a new job shortly afterwards that took up all his time and had to leave. Most of the others gave up when that happened but I decided to keep working on it. Because there wasn't enough code from the original developer to work with and I do best modifying code rather then working from scratch I took a FOSS RTS engine that looked simple enough to me and managed to actually make a game called MoonPy. A few others did join the project over the years though we never got any other coders. MoonPy works well enough to give you an idea of what the gameplay style is like but is has some serious fundamental flaws due to the fact underneath it's still an RTS engine and Moonbase Commander isn't really an RTS. Ultimately the whole game needs a new engine, a complete rewrite. I've tried doing that myself but none of my attempts at building my own engine have been successfull, or at least not more successfull then what's already been done. I've looked around at other engines from time to time but none seem to do what I really want. Sadly I suspect unless I can find another coder who has played and enjoyed the original like I have the project is going to go the way of so many others and fade into dust. Man, I really got sidetracked here. Anyways, the point is Moonbase Commander doesn't do multiplayer very well even in windows and it's worse with wine which is why I want a remake. I have been talking with the devs on the forums and given them some information on unity for linux, wine, and running programs on linux. Doubt it'll go anywhere but admittedly you never know with indies.