Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which to buy? Inspiron 17R or Latitude E5530?

Beans

Which to buy? Inspiron 17R or Latitude E5530?

I'm looking for a laptop and these two came to my attention.

I'm planning to do programming mostly and work on the laptop for a long time.

One big advantage of the Inspiron 17R is that the bigger screen which will help me be more productive IMO, on other hand some people told me that the "Build quality" of the Latitude is better, even though I'm not sure what the "Build Quality" affects and how much it'll matter to me.

And I also want it to work well with Ubuntu so it matters which one will work better with Ubuntu or with Linux in general.

What I need is a good screen so I don't strain my eyes, that's pretty much the most important thing for me, it should have a good amount of RAM and a good processor, but most models come with different processors you can choose from.
    I need a wireless connection as well.

Can anyone advise between those two?

I've been seeing a lot on Optimus which I should be careful from and also saw some threads on Broadcom wireless not working, so these are two issues I've watched out from.

Some more info about these laptops:

Latitude:

Chipset: Mobile Intel® HM77 Express Chipset -or - Mobile Intel® QM77 Express Chipset
    Display: 15.6” HD (1366x768) Anti-Glare LED-backlit -or- 15.6” FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare LED-backlit
    Video Card: Intel® HD Graphics 3000 -or- Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Wireless LAN Options:

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205
    Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300
    Dell Wireless 1504 (802.11 b/g/n 1x1)
    Dell Wireless 1540 (802.11 a/g/n 2x2)

Mobile Broadband & GPS Options:

Dell Wireless™ 5630 Multi-mode HSPA-EVDO Mini Card (Gobi™ 3000) with A-GPS
    Dell Wireless™ 5560 Single-mode HSPA Mini Card with A-GPS

Inspiron:

Display: 17.3" High Definition+ (900p) LED Display with Truelife
    Chipset: Mobile Intel® 7 Series Express Chipset (HM77)
    Video Card: Intel® HD Graphics 3000 -or- Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Wi-Fi Bluetooth Options:
    Dell Wireless 1703 802.11n + BT 4.0
    Dell Wireless 1704 802.11n + BT 4.0
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 + BT 4.0

Beans

Re: Which to buy? Inspiron 17R or Latitude E5530?

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I know what not to buy, a glossy screen with only 768 pixels high.
    Well it's a start

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1

Do you really need a laptop? A desktop with a honking big LED screen or two would be a lot more productive for application development.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree with Gordonintoronto. Don't buy a laptop for program development. A desktop with separate monitor and keyboard is much better because you can:

- choose exactly the monitor you want, upgrade to bigger screen etc
    - add memory, add/change graphics card, add ssd etc
    - get a better system for less money, for example a Vostro 470 with an i7 processor, 8gb ram, 1TB hard disk
    - position screen and keyboard (ideally on a computer table) for comfort
    I once had to use a laptop for programming work 8 hours a day for three weeks and ended up with red eyes, stiff neck and severe backache.

The Inspiron 17r received some bad customer reviews (3 out 5 stars) and the answers to the questions section also contains useful information. Could not find any review or answer section about the Latitude.

I am thinking about buying a Dell Vostro 470 with an i7 processor. I need Ubuntu for my work, so I have been asking if i-series processors will work with Ubuntu in the Beginners forum http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2058207 and the answers say they will.

However, JKyleOKC in this forum thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2061096 is flagging up an annoying problem when dual booting. The preinstalled parts of Windows 7 cannot be moved freely to make space for Ubuntu resulting in 200GB of a 500GB disk being wasted for Windows, even when not needed. I think there must be a way around this possibly by explicitly defining the partitions and not rely on Ubuntu to do install by 'install alongside existing operating system', but I am really guessing don't know yet...

Beans

Hi thanx for the advice so far, I'm very grateful.

I certainly need a laptop, I'll to take it from place to place a lot, and travel with it.

It's not ideal for programming, I'm aware, but I'm trying to make the best of the situation.

Don't mind much about dual booting, it can be nice but I'll probably just uninstall Windows completely.

I looked at the Inspiron 17R reviews and the bad ones seem to be particularly about the Dell customer service and not about the laptop itself.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Inspiron just because of the bigger screen, it looks to me like it's the most important for productivity.

The question is also if one is more Ubuntu/Linux friendly than the other

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The 17r SE is serving me well so far with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta.

Beans

marks_linux, thanx for the response,
    Didn't you have problems with Nvidia Optimus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I picked up a refurb latitude E5520 for $600 a couple weeks ago from outlet plus coupon code sale. It has decent build quality but the 6500 series is a little better, but you pay for it. I think for most the e5520 is suffecient build quality. Remember these are business-class machines and some businesses include construction/engineering etc... which require the best.

So far everything works out of the box. 1080i HDMI output was amazing on my 42" TV. Came with a full Win 7 pro install disc with license key too, for vbox.

Anything you want to know I'll be here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zenlunatic View Post
    I picked up a refurb latitude E5520 for $600 a couple weeks ago from outlet plus coupon code sale. It has decent build quality but the 6500 series is a little better, but you pay for it. I think for most the e5520 is suffecient build quality. Remember these are business-class machines and some businesses include construction/engineering etc... which require the best.

So far everything works out of the box. 1080i HDMI output was amazing on my 42" TV. Came with a full Win 7 pro install disc with license key too, for vbox.

Anything you want to know I'll be here.
    thanx zenlunatic!

Can you tell me if you had any problem with Nvidia Optimus?
    Have you done anything about it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast