Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: High CPU utilisation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    2

    High CPU utilisation

    Recently installed and updated latest Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit on a separate partition of my machine running W7.
    I noticed immediately that it was not light on resources. Both cores are most of the time above 25% even though I'm not running any programs.

    Has any one else experienced this ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,986

    Re: High CPU utilisation

    You need to check which processes are eating cpu cycles

  3. #3
    offgridguy's Avatar
    offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Smile Re: High CPU utilisation

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    You need to check which processes are eating cpu cycles
    Is there an easy answer on how to do this? Thank you.

  4. #4
    offgridguy's Avatar
    offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: High CPU utilisation

    Quote Originally Posted by apfx View Post
    Recently installed and updated latest Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit on a separate partition of my machine running W7.
    I noticed immediately that it was not light on resources. Both cores are most of the time above 25% even though I'm not running any programs.

    Has any one else experienced this ?
    My setup is virtually identical to yours, where do you find task manager on windows7?
    All I could find was task scheduler,
    I honestly don't know what the CPU usage is but I suspect it will be high also.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    22

    Re: High CPU utilisation

    Simply type
    Code:
    top
    into a terminal and you'll get a list of all the processes, and I think the default is sorted by %CPU. Then either use the kill option inside top, or remember the PID of the process and in another terminal type
    Code:
    kill PID
    If you get permission errors, type
    Code:
    sudo !!
    and enter your password.

    Alternatively, another command to list all processes:
    Code:
    ps aux
    For extra credit, read the man pages for top and learn what else you can do or just fiddle with the interface, there is a lot there.

    For extra extra credit, install htop. It has a bunch more options and is much more powerful with a similar interface.
    Last edited by jemofthewest; September 11th, 2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Forgot about ps aux

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    45

    Re: High CPU utilisation

    That could be caused by the system monitor application itself. If the window is large and thus the graphs, it starts to eat CPU cycles.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,986

    Re: High CPU utilisation

    Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    My setup is virtually identical to yours, where do you find task manager on windows7?
    CTRL-ALT-DELETE will bring you to a new shutdown window where you can also select to open the task manager.

  8. #8
    offgridguy's Avatar
    offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: High CPU utilisation

    jemofthewest; Thank you for the help, according to this a total of all my cpu usage,
    comes to15.5%, this is all new to me, is this average? above? below?
    thanks again

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    2

    Re: High CPU utilisation

    Quote Originally Posted by alex2399 View Post
    That could be caused by the system monitor application itself. If the window is large and thus the graphs, it starts to eat CPU cycles.
    Yes, thats probably the culprit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    22

    Re: High CPU utilisation

    That's pretty high. I'd look through the processes and see what is causing that 15% eating up. A good linux installation should only take 1-5% CPU when idle (no windows up or programs running).

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •