My Serval laptop has suddenly started immediate turn-off power recently. It's happened at least twice in last 2 days. Any idea is appreciated and please tell me which log files you need to investigate so that I'm happy to provide those.
I can only describe the situation non-numerically b/c I didn't record anything when it occurred but:
- CPU usage is high (roughly, the usage of all 4 cores is more than 75% less than 100% on Gnome System Monitor)
- Noise of the fan was the one of the busiest
- Memory usage was about 50%
- Application program running was a simulator for robotics (called Gazebo), which after a few minutes of running the phenomenon occurs. I've used the same tool before on this machine so shouldn't be the matter.
Not sure if it's related but after I've upgraded to Precise, the fan has been making more noise even when the CPU usage is very low.
- Ubuntu 12.04 (originally 11.04 upon purchase, then 11.10)
- Kernel 3.2.0-30-generic
- Core i7 2GHz x 8
- 11.7GB RAM