Thread: Screen flickers when adjusting brightness

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Screen flickers when adjusting brightness

Definitely a laptop problem, hopefully not a hardware problem.

When I try to adjust my laptops screen brightness, it goes to some very low brightness and then the screen starts flickering (ie changing between different brightness levels). When my laptop boots, it's at full brightness, and when I adjust that, flickering starts. After that I cannot get it back to any non-very-low brightness. The flickering also happens when the system tried to change brightness, for instance when I plug in my power cable.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with KDE and Gnome. Same exact problems with both. Removed KDE just to make sure that it was not messing up my install, but the issue is still there.

This started after upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04.

I have a Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A-A03US laptop.

Anyone an idea what might be causing this and how I can fix it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Screen flickers when adjusting brightness

You might want to give this PPA a try - its specifically for Samsung laptops and fixes issues with brightness (among other things): https://launchpad.net/~voria/+archive/ppa.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks a lot!

Installed the PPA, but it's not clear to me which package(s) is/are relevant to my problem, and I can't find a comprehensive overview of the stuff in this ppa. Any pointers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen De Dauw View Post
    Thanks a lot!

Installed the PPA, but it's not clear to me which package(s) is/are relevant to my problem, and I can't find a comprehensive overview of the stuff in this ppa. Any pointers?
    Unfortunately, I don't own a Samsung to be able to comment. However, that PPA also has a forum that you could take a look at (and maybe get some answers). The forum is located at: http://www.voria.org/forum/.