Thread: Zenbook Prime UX31A battery life need help!

Beans

Zenbook Prime UX31A battery life need help!

I see a lot of like-minded folks on this thread, and I can confirm a few things:

The Zenbook Prime is a sexy, fast and handy machine. The screen is excellent, and visible easily even outside on the balcony in bright sunlight. The keyboard is good, backlighting, etc. Sound is nicely tonal, and doesn't screech in either direction for normal volumes.

I bought the UX31A with i7 processor, 4Gb Ram. My unit runs Linux Mint 13, with the cinnamon interface, in case that matters. It's a wrapper around the Ubuntu 12.04 release. Before I shell out the 1000+ euros, I took a ubuntu liveboot usb to the store and confirmed that most things work -- and the same things do not work as listed in this wiki I have updated some entries in that wiki to reflect this.

Using the fix, most function keys do work. The touchpad usage is bearable, until a proper fix comes our way.

However, a serious problem in such a machine is the poor battery life. After 100% charge on the battery, with the brightness set at 50%, I unplug the charger and the immediate number is 3 hours battery remaining. That is hardly acceptable.

I have tried the Power Optimization tricks listed in the wiki above, and also enabled ALPM. My first tests were hardly promising: I've added an entry for wiki here.

Looking for suggestions on what to try to improve the abysmal battery performance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Zenbook Prime UX31A battery life need help!

Do you have a 6 or 9 cell battery? On my old dell I could only get about 3 hours on a 6 cell, so I got a 9 cell and it went up to about 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Might want to try the Jupiter applet.

Beans

Hello,

Did you solve this problem? I'm thinking of buying this notebook (with the i5 processor) and I'm really interested in how long last the battery under Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mertvye View Post
    Hello,

Did you solve this problem? I'm thinking of buying this notebook (with the i5 processor) and I'm really interested in how long last the battery under Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance.
    Hi, I have that laptop and use it everyday at work. After you unplug it truly says 3h but in the end it runs 5 - 6h without any issue. (brightness set to 4 - I think it's perfectly enough for my eyes)