Thread: Error installing Matlab 2009b on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Error installing Matlab 2009b on Ubuntu 12.04

Hey guys, i got a problem installing matlab which i hope i can get help for.

Using Furious ISO Mount, i was able to mount 2009b iso and run the install file.

The start of the installation is smooth as well until i get to the stage where the installation prompts for space to install matlab and i get this error for lack of installation space.

However i checked my harddisk space and it says there are sufficient space on/dev/sda5.

I submitted 2 ss of the error and the hard disk space i have!

I can't made sense of this error and how to ressolve it plus i am new to ubuntu so would really appreciate any help. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Error installing Matlab 2009b on Ubuntu 12.04

Did you run the installation script with super user permissions?
    Let's say that the installation script is called 'install', in such case, you type the following in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo install
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Beans

Re: Error installing Matlab 2009b on Ubuntu 12.04

I found the problem, apparently i redirected the installation of the root folder to the iso file itself therefore it could not installed. I created a new folder and pointed the installation to it so i could install the matlab 2009b.

I got a new problem now though, i am trying to install gcc 4.2 on matlab 2009b since it works with it only and gcc 4.6 or 4.7 doesn't.

I tried using

sudo aptitude install gcc-4.2-multilib libstdc++6-4.2-dev

but it keeps saying can't find the package finding the description.

I have already added
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main to the end of my sources.list but aptitude gives me that error when i try to install gcc 4.2.

Must i download the package first for aptitude to install or aptitude finds it on my behalf?

Any help is appreciated! Once again thanks!