Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 'Reverse Engineers Wanted' list of sorts

Beans

Looking for a 'Reverse Engineers Wanted' list of sorts

Does anybody know of any todo-lists with protocols/file formats for bored reverse-engineers with too much free time? Ideally something a bit more accessible and in demand than old DOS business apps or the image format for some medical scanner (been there).

I know the first suggestion always is to 'scratch your own itch', but everything I use is either open source or at least open standards - so no itches. Over the years, I've cracked the encryption and analyzed the netcode of a handful of apps and games/MMOs, wrote viewers for their proprietary file formats, etc. and always greatly enjoyed doing that but that was usually just for me personally and I'd love to see someone actually benefit from this.

Maybe just some file converter for some proprietary Windows app or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Looking for a 'Reverse Engineers Wanted' list of sorts

One area that in my opinion is lacking in Linux is the synchronization with portable devices like phones and tablets, there are lots of half-backed projects, perhaps you can help there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not sure if this is the kind of reverse engineering you have in mind but, in my opinion, making open source drivers for VGA cards (NVidia, ATI) work as good as proprietary drivers requires a lot of hacking, studying the hardware, etc. If you apply your skills to that you will be making *many* Linux users happy. Not to mention you will be actively helping Linux adoption grow in share in end-users desktops (I know VGA is not the only factor, but it's a relevant one).

Regards,
    Effenberg

EDIT: I forgot one thing: Microsoft Office files. No matter how much we love LibreOffice, it still has many problems understanding complex Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations. Maybe there's work to be done in understanding MS Office proprietary file format. And, of course, there's WINE too.
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; September 1st, 2012 at 08:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I'm sure the ReactOS team would love to have some help from a good reverse engineer. Wine, too.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Nouveau and Lightspark probably need help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I'm sure the ReactOS team would love to have some help from a good reverse engineer. Wine, too.
    The ReactOS team needs clean-room reverse engineers, not just plain ones.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    The ReactOS team needs clean-room reverse engineers, not just plain ones.
    Engineers that take a shower once in a while?

Beans
    Hidden!

"Cracking" encryption and reverse engineering of proprietary software etc. does happen, but is more often than not illegal and not supported on the forum

Thread closed.

Thread reopened.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Thanks for reopening this thread. I think there are a lot of areas that the community could really use a good clean-room reverse engineer who is eager to help out.

Of course we're not going to point anyone toward pirating and illegal activities. There are enough legal things that can be done to help out.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast