Thread: The truth about Goobuntu: Google's in-house desktop Ubuntu Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

The truth about Goobuntu: Google's in-house desktop Ubuntu Linux

Today, August 29th , Thomas Bushnell, the tech lead of the group that manages and distributes Linux to Google's corporate desktops unveiled Goobuntu from behind Google's curtain at LinuxCon, the Linux Foundation's annual North American technical conference, First things first, can you download Goobuntu to run it yourself? Well yes and no.
    Source

Beans

Re: The truth about Goobuntu: Google's in-house desktop Ubuntu Linux

IIRC, the same guy, TB, said pretty much the same thing some months ago at a Canonical meet. That video was hosted on YouTube. (I remember it because there was an issue with the sound quality.)

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu3pT_9nb8o
    Last edited by vasa1; August 30th, 2012 at 05:00 AM.

Beans

Good article, I wish I had a choice of which OS I wanted to use at work. You'd think with so much Linux influence at Google, we would at least have a native Picasa and Drive app...oh and a google earth app that works out of the box in Ubuntu.

Beans

This is pretty much exactly how the setup is at my place of work. I work for a public school district. We're using Ubuntu 12.04 controlled by Puppet. It's pretty interesting the way it all works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I wish more organizations gave you the flexibility to use your platform of choice. I prefer to use Ubuntu but its a struggle to get all of the windows-only tools I need to use to either work in Linux in some fashion or run in a VM. A VM works great if I'm at my desk all day but a pain when I'm on the road at a client site and I need to boot my machine quick. I need to boot Ubuntu then start my VM then start my app. So I'm stuck with Windows for the majority of my computing experience.