Thread: gnome-terminal GTK error

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

gnome-terminal GTK error

Hi,

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10. I'm using the Trinity desktop, which of course comes with Konsole, but I prefer the gnome-terminal.

When I try to open gnome-terminal (from within another terminal), I see this error message:
    Code:
    Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same p                                                                                                              rocess is not supported

[1]+  Trace/breakpoint trap   gnome-terminal
    and gnome-terminal won't open. What's the best way to fix this?

Thanks.
    int main() {
    insert_clever_signature();
    return 0;
    }

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: gnome-terminal GTK error

I don't know how to fix it, but that error says you are mixing two different library versions inside the same program. This is bad. I suspect that purging the gnome-terminal, then reinstalling it might help. Which earlier release did you upgrade from? Did it have GTK+2.x and does the newer release have GTK+3.x? Those libraries are in conflict.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I guess "upgraded" wasn't the correct term. I did a clean install of 11.10 from a live cd (for some reason the old Trinity build I was using wouldn't allow me to upgrade directly.) My old version was 10.10, though.

I used the standard Ubuntu live CD and then installed TDE from its repositories.

I tried purging and reinstalling gnome-terminal, but it's still having the same problem. Looking at installed packages in Adept, I see that both libgtk-3-0 and libgtk-2.0-0 are installed.

Also, when I purged gnome-terminal, dpkg also removed ubuntu-desktop for some reason. Is that bad? The package description says "...it is recommended that it not be removed."
    I never use Unity anyway, but was sort of hoping to keep it around for a while until I have everything up and working reasonably well in TDE...

Thanks!
    int main() {
    return 0;
    }

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't know the answer, but suspect that until you have only 1 of the GTK+v2/3 packages installed, this will keep happening. Unfortunately, I fear that the cure may be worse than the disease. Removing either GTK+ package will likely remove many GUI tools and could lead to a system without any GUI at all.

I hate to suggest this, but perhaps punting now is a better idea, assuming TDE is that important to you.
    a) install 12.04 LTS Server - no GUI this way. I try to only use LTS releases.
    b) install TDE over that.
    c) install Gnome-terminal over that.

Honestly, this is more work than I'd be willing to do just for a terminal. Personally, I use plain xterms and I spend 95% of my day in a terminal. The only reason I use a GUI is to have more xterm windows.

My daily desktop is an Ubuntu Server 12.04 with LXDE loaded. For me, this keeps the Ubuntu-Gui bloat down. My last desktop was an Ubuntu 10.04 Server with LXDE.

Just an option for you to consider.

Sorry, no solution. I did google for an answer and the people who solved it appeared to be hard core devs. They setup specific LD_LIBRARY_PATHs for each specific program using softlinks to the exact GTK+ lib desired.

Beans
    Distro

OK, thanks anyway. I'll hunt around for another terminal option.

I'd like to get by with minimal GUI, but don't trust my geek skills quite that much yet
    int main() {
    return 0;
    }