Thread: Acer Aspire One (zg5) - what to install?

Beans

Question Acer Aspire One (zg5) - what to install?

Hi all,
    A friend has given me this netbook to reinstall so it can be usable again (it had linpus on it = junk). This is the version with the 8gb SSD and 512mb ram.

Since it is old, I tried the latest Mint XFCE. Which seems ok, but the touchpad is not working correctly (cannot double-tap, cannot drag windows etc).

I would like to try either Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Since Xubuntu uses XFCE as well, could it have the same problem as Mint XFCE?

Has anyone made ubuntu work well on this netbook? Any advice?

Thanks,
    Rob

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One (zg5) - what to install?

I would recommend Lubuntu or WattOS R6, which is Lubuntu based. XFCE distros in Mint and Ubuntu are quite a bit heavier than LXDE ones.

Beans

I would definitely try ubuntu or lubuntu, as far as i can see it is much easier to find drivers for it.

If I'm wrong don't diss me, I read half the posts here and have no clue half the words in the posts mean. "command line" *shivers*

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I run three of the original AAO's 2 with the 8mb SSD and one with 150mb HDD. They all run Xubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 just fine, but I have done RAM upgrade to 2GB (includes video memory)

You'll get more fun if you upgrade the RAM.