Thread: Wi-Fi Connection Anomaly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wi-Fi Connection Anomaly

This is not a request for help. I report this as an anomaly and believe that this is about my computer, not something other users may have a problem with.

I use a D-Link WDA-160 wireless adapter to connect (via AT&T 2Wire modem-router-wifi).

The 2Wire device has a secondary Apple AirPort device connected as well. In the panel icon for signal strength, I see both devices as well as others in this area.

Of late, my Precise Pangolin (v. 12.04)using XFCE will not connect to the 2Wire router, only the AirPort. I switched over to Gnome (no effects) as a double-check, but no dice. When the Network Connections (manager) tried to connect to the 2Wire, it says something like: requesting a wireless network address for '2Wire999'... . That address never connects. But in true Linux style, the secondary wifi (Apple AirPort) is found and a connection is reached. I have backup 'net access.

When I first purchased the D-Link WDA-160 I was so please that it "just worked". It's a USB device and has given excellent service for the past 9 months. Whether this is a hardware problem or not is beyond my tech skills.

If anybody reading this has the faintest clue about this problem, I would be obliged for the information, but I'm not expecting to "fix" this. I'm considering buying another wireless adapter access device.
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wi-Fi Connection Anomaly

The D-Link WDA-160 wifi adapter died after 7 months of service. The warranty is 12 months so, Office Depot replaced it for free with another WDA-160. It was dead on arrival, in two separate 'puters. I returned it, got a Cisco product, but returned it as well as the Tech Support (Chat) at Cisco said that were no LINUX drivers.

I next ordered a TP-Link model TL-WN722N. This product works (it just works) in Linux. Sold by Newegg.com, there were about 1377 reviews of it online. Mostly very happy people.

As I have Windows 7-64 on a separate partition it also installed there, but had to be re-booted to finish the installation. Ubuntu did not require a re-boot.

Why the D-Link adapter dropped the primary wifi and connected to the 2ard remains a mystery. Perhaps the 2Wire modem-wifi-router is going bad as well. The 2ary connects via ethernet cable to the primary, but gives a wifi beacon as well as the primary. Thanks, Community for the 69 Ubuntu-ers who read this.
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N