Thread: Questions about best practices in downgrading / pinning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Questions about best practices in downgrading / pinning

Our current problems with Xserver leaved me with a couple doubts:

Pinning package versions
    1) What is the difference between using the following methods (a,b,c):
    a) Using "dpkg --set-selections" (or manually editing /var/lib/dpkg/status to set status "HOLD" on the desired package/version).
    b) Using /etc/apt/preferences (despite the fact that it is useful for specifying priority indexes)
    c) Use "Lock Version" / "Force Version" on Synaptic

2) How does these options relate? Does apt-get respect what is set in
    /var/lib/dpkg/status? Does dpkg -i respect what is set in /etc/apt/preferences? What about synaptic and aptitude?

Upgrading deps/rdeps after pinning
    1) After installing the desired Xserver version from a deb with dpkg -i and pinning it using one of the methods above, is there any difference in using apt-get dist-upgrade or synaptic "normal" upgrade?

Sorry for the lame questions, I think I never had to worry about the specifics of downgrading. I just want to consolidate some ideas and write a wiki about it or something.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

Re: Questions about best practices in downgrading / pinning

mac4man and harry33 had some good workarounds on this a couple of weeks ago and the "force version" in synaptic worked great in downgrading to xserver-xorg 1.12

Now, you can't even do that through synaptic. Today , after upgrading yet another previous install, I got the same (firefox won't start, loop back to gdm). The only way to get a temp fix was to remove nvidia-current. I tired some of the methods just previously mentioned in the recent forum where this debate has been taking place and now I can't mount that filesystem from root using GRUB recovery. Downloading the Precise *.deb was a destroyer for one of my installs. But I know thats why I am here. This is development release - where breakage *will* occur!
    Last edited by ventrical; August 20th, 2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: sp --can to can't
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post

Pinning package versions
    a) Using "dpkg --set-selections" (or manually editing /var/lib/dpkg/status to set status "HOLD" on the desired package/version).
    b) Using /etc/apt/preferences (despite the fact that it is useful for specifying priority indexes)

/var/lib/dpkg/status? Does dpkg -i respect what is set in /etc/apt/preferences? What about synaptic and aptitude?

1) After installing the desired Xserver version from a deb with dpkg -i and pinning it using one of the methods above, is there any difference in using apt-get dist-upgrade or synaptic "normal" upgrade?

Sorry for the lame questions, I think I never had to worry about the specifics of downgrading. I just want to consolidate some ideas and write a wiki about it or something.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Why re-invent the wheel? Just google apt pinning and you will get several good sites - wiki.debian.org, wikipedia, and ubuntu wiki to name a few.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    mac4man and harry33 had some good workarounds on this a couple of weeks ago and the "force version" in synaptic worked great in downgrading to xserver-xorg 1.12

Now, you can't even do that through synaptic.

Today , after upgrading yet another previous install, I got the same (firefox won't start, loop back to gdm). The only way to get a temp fix was to remove nvidia-current. I tired some of the methods just previously mentioned in the recent forum where this debate has been taking place and now I can mount that filesystem from root using GRUB recovery. Downloading the Precise *.deb was a destroyer for one of my installs. But I know thats why I am here. This is development release - where breakage *will* occur!
    Hi Ventrical, IMO we need to discuss and define best practices for downgrading packages. As I mentioned in the first post in this thread, there are many ways to do things and the differences aren't totally clear. Almost all recent threads here are now about this same issue. Downgrading is not something we're used to doing. I couldn't find good documentation for that, not even in Debian.

About Synaptic: I think "Force Version" will query your dpkg status for for available versions. So considering your dpkg status file is up-to-date with the existing repos (apt-get update), you will only be able to see the versions that are there. It would be the same as running something like this:
    Code:
    [16:58:07] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[~]: apt-show-versions -a xorg
    xorg 1:7.6+12ubuntu1 hold ok installed
    xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu1 quantal archive.ubuntu.com
    No stable version
    xorg/quantal upgradeable from 1:7.6+12ubuntu1 to 1:7.7+1ubuntu1
    One would only be able to Lock/Force a version, via Synaptic, if this version is available in the configured sources and the system dpkg status is up-to-date. If this is correct, then prior to trying to lock/fix a version one should apt-get update to default sources and query dpkg status to see which versions are available.

Suppose you add a precise repo to your quantal sources, apt-get update and query xorg versions. You'll find a PP version of xorg available. You would be able to do something like apt-get install xorg=<pp version number> and pin it, then remove pp repos from sources and apt-get update again. Or if the goal is just to roll back one version, without going into PP realms, there's no need to add anything pp to your sources.

WHat I did was actually different: I went directly to Launchpad via browser and got a deb for the version I wanted. After I installed and pinned it, my system obviously was broken, because all related packages had to be downgraded too. Fixing those deps then is doable:
    - By also downloading/installing all their debs for the correct releases;
    - Trusting synaptic "fix broken deps" will downgrade them to correct versions
    - Trusting apt-get dist-upgrade will do the same

So, the real deal here is not just downgrading one package, but them querying this package to see what it depends on and what depends on it, and then fix these other packages accordingly. To do this manually or through some GUI tool will depend on each one's preferences.

Example: You can have a look at info like depends, rdepends, breaks/conflicts, provides, etc using dpkg-query:
    Code:
    dpkg-query -W -f="Package:${Package}\nVersion:${Version}\nDepends:${Depends}\nRdepends:${Pre-Depends}\n\n' xorg
    Another possibility:
    Code:
    dpkg --print-avail xorg
    Yet another one:
    Code:
    apt-cache show xorg
    And a more complete one:
    Code:
    apt-cache showpkg xorg
    Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xebian View Post
    Why re-invent the wheel? Just google apt pinning and you will get several good sites - wiki.debian.org, wikipedia, and ubuntu wiki to name a few.
    Yes, there are lots of tutorials. Some mention pinning via dpkg, some mention doing it via apt preferences. Which is better? Which is or will be deprecated? Why? This sort of info I couldn't find in reliable official sources. I can't really say if the different tutorials I found online are all correct, I didn't read/compared all of them, don't know the people who wrote them or when they were written. The info in Ubuntu Wiki is clearly outdated and incomplete. Considering the above, the fact that we are contributors to Ubuntu and this is an interesting subject in testing, looking into the future and also considering our very real need for improving our technical and formal documentation, I do not feel like such a small effort would be reinventing the wheel. That is, of course, my personal opinion.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; August 23rd, 2012 at 04:49 AM.

Beans

/etc/apt/preferences has the advantage that you still uses apt and the dependencies will be resolved if your pinnings are correct. Before I downgraded to the XServer 1.11.4 from Precise I tried to pin to the previous version from Quantal (which you have downloaded from Launchpad). But it seemed that this version wasn't available anymore with apt so I decided to downgrade to the Precise version.

Beans

Pinning package versions

Regards,
    Effenberg
    I prefer using "echo <packagename> hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections" because setting "lock" in synaptic is overridden by apt, but I recently had to figure out how to "hold" a number of packages and asked a question:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2022112

That introduced me to using a "for loop"

And it enabled me to do this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=20

The brilliance of our various members never ceases to amaze me

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ventrical, IMO we need to discuss and define best practices for downgrading packages. As I mentioned in the first post in this thread, there are many ways to do things and the differences aren't totally clear. Almost all recent threads here are now about this same issue. Downgrading is not something we're used to doing. I couldn't find good documentation for that, not even in Debian.

About Synaptic: I think "Force Version" will query your dpkg status for for available versions. So considering your dpkg status file is up-to-date with the existing repos (apt-get update), you will only be able to see the versions that are there. It would be the same as running something like this:
    Code:
    [16:58:07] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[~]: apt-show-versions -a xorg
    xorg 1:7.6+12ubuntu1 hold ok installed
    xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu1 quantal archive.ubuntu.com
    No stable version
    xorg/quantal upgradeable from 1:7.6+12ubuntu1 to 1:7.7+1ubuntu1
    One would only be able to Lock/Force a version, via Synaptic, if this version is available in the configured sources and the system dpkg status is up-to-date. If this is correct, then prior to trying to lock/fix a version one should apt-get update to default sources and query dpkg status to see which versions are available.
    This was a problem with me a while back during Precise testing. I *locked* versions in synaptic and then when I <sudo apt-get update/upgrade> or use synaptic to update it ripped the locked versions right out!

Ok.. let me take a back-step here.

Suppose I have Kernel 3.4.0-1 of Quantal release (in which Unity 2D is still functional and Nautilus is at a stage where when I click properties/permissions I still get <ventrical> as oppossed to <me>. Now, without getting any ppas or making any changes to sources.list how do I simply pin them?
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

@Ventrical: Just jump to the last topic (Pinning the Packages Versions) if you need a fast answer The text below is my own attempt at studying and learning about this subject.

If you already have those packages installed, we don't have to talk about sources.list, PPAs or manual download/install of packages .deb file. In your example, there's no need to downgrade from non-working/not-wanted packages versions to working/preferred packages versions: You already have them working in your install, you just want to keep them from being upgraded (replaced by more recent releases of their packages). That's the pure definition of pinning. All we discussed about sources.list, PPAs, installing manually downloaded .deb files with dpkg -i were hacks to downgrade.

Ok, now let's pretend we don't know which exact packages provide kernel and Nautilus. We need to query something to get this information and we have some alternatives.

FINDING THE RIGHT PACKAGES
    1) dpkg --search <string> or dpkg-query --search <string>
    This will search the dpkg information stored in your PC at /var/lib/dpkg/status. Just nano this file to understand what it is about and how it is organized. <string> can be a part of the file name you are looking for (you can't use a regular expression).

dpkg-query is just a frontend for dpkg. Have a look at "man dpkg-query" and you will see some interesting options there.

Try to run dpkg --search nautilus. You will get a lot of output on console, because there are many references to this word in packages informations. We need to be more specific.

What is executed when we run nautilus? We can find this with the command "whereis".
    Code:
    $ whereis nautilus
    nautilus: /usr/bin/nautilus /usr/lib/nautilus /usr/bin/X11/nautilus /usr/share/nautilus /usr/share/man/man1/nautilus.1.gz
    We got 5 answers. The one we want is the first (inside bin, the binary executable of nautilus). If we investigate, we can see that the first answer (the binary for nautilus) is in one package, while the fourth answer (/usr/share/nautilus) comes from another package.
    Code:
    dpkg --search /usr/bin/nautilus
    nautilus: /usr/bin/nautilus

$ dpkg --search /usr/share/nautilus
    nautilus-data: /usr/share/nautilus
    2) apt-file search <string>
    apt-file creates a local database of information about packages available at repos. By using it, we are not limited the information we have stored locally (in /var/lib/dpkg/status). We need to let it create a database that we can then query later.
    Code:
    $ apt-file search nautilus
    E: The cache is empty. You need to run 'apt-file update' first.
    The database needs to be created. Let's do it.
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-file update
    The first time you run the command above, it will take some time to get information from the servers mentioned in your sources and populate a local database.
    Code:
    $ apt-file search nautilus
    Again, you will get a lot of output and for the same reasons I mentioned previously. We need to trim things down. Lucky for us, apt-file supports the use of regular expressions (REGEX)
    Code:
    $ apt-file search -x "/usr/bin/nautilus$"
    nautilus: /usr/bin/nautilus
    nautilus-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/nautilus
    3) apt-cache search <REGEX>
    apt-cache will not build a new database and will rely on information already stored locally. The advantage over dpkg --search is that it also supports regular expressions.
    As you probably expect at this point, you will also get a lot of output if you just search for "nautilus", as I explained previously. And I jus said it supports REGEX, so let's try it. I'll list only the lines that start (^) with the word nautilus using REGEX.
    Code:
    $ apt-cache search '^nautilus'
    nautilus-sendto - integrates Evolution and Pidgin into the Nautilus file manager
    nautilus-compare - Context menu comparison extension for Nautilus file manager
    nautilus-emblems - emblems property page for nautilus
    nautilus-gtkhash - nautilus extension for computing checksums and more using gtkhash
    nautilus-ideviceinfo - utility showing information of idevices on nautilus
    nautilus-image-manipulator - Resize and send images from Nautilus
    nautilus-open-terminal - nautilus plugin for opening terminals in arbitrary paths
    nautilus-qdigidoc - Nautilus file manager support for QDigiDoc client
    nautilus-script-audio-convert - A nautilus audio converter script
    nautilus-script-collection-svn - Nautilus subversion management scripts
    nautilus-script-debug - Simple nautilus debugging script
    nautilus-script-manager - A simple management tool for nautilus scripts
    nautilus-wallpaper - Nautilus extension. Add a "set as wallpaper" entry in context menu
    nautilus-wipe - Secure deletion extension for Nautilus
    nautilus-dropbox - Dropbox integration for Nautilus
    nautilus - file manager and graphical shell for GNOME
    nautilus-dbg - file manager and graphical shell for GNOME - debugging version
    nautilus-sendto-empathy - GNOME multi-protocol chat and call client (nautilus-sendto plugin)
    nautilus-share - Nautilus extension to share folder using Samba
    nautilus-actions - nautilus extension to configure programs to launch
    nautilus-bzr - Bazaar (bzr) integration for nautilus
    nautilus-clamscan - Antivirus scanning for Nautilus
    nautilus-filename-repairer - Nautilus extension for filename encoding repair
    nautilus-image-converter - nautilus extension to mass resize or rotate images
    nautilus-pastebin - Nautilus extension to send files to a pastebin
    nautilus-scripts-manager - simple tool for nautilus scripts management
    nautilus-data - data files for nautilus
    One of the packages above provide /usr/bin/nautilus. We know it's the package named "nautilus" (16th line).

4) Finally, we can use packages.ubuntu.com. It's pretty much self-explanatory. JUst type "nautilus" in the search box, mark "package names only", get some results, filter them by Ubuntu release, etc.

Going back to your example we aleady know that, unsurprisingly, the packages named "nautilus" is the package that provides nautilus. If you use any of the methods above, you will find out the kernel is provided by the linux-image* file.

One thing to note is that you can investiate which packages depend on the nautilus and kernel packages and which packages they depend on using dpkg-query. You can use many different syntax. Here's an example:
    Code:
    $ dpkg-query -S nautilus
    You can also use -W and -f options to fully customize the output. Another example:
    Code:
    dpkg-query -W -f='\nThe package named ${Package} provides:\n${Provides}\n\nIt depends on the following packages:\n${Depends}\n\n' linux-image-$(uname -r)
    EDIT: I have piped the output of the command "uname -r" to the string "linux-image-" instead of manually typing the full package name in the command above, because I assume one would pin the kernel that is currently in use, i.e. the one currently loaded. Its just a lazy trick to avoid typing and eventual typos (which are actually frequent for me).

FINDING OUT THE VERSION CURRENTLY INSTALLED
    Suppose you didn't new the version of the nautilus and kernel packages you want to pin. In order to find out, you can also do that in different ways, which include simply using nano to edit /var/lib/dpkg/status and search for status information about the packages. The easy way I'll use here relies on dpkg-query, which will do exactly that for us.

Code:
    $ dpkg-query -W nautilus
    nautilus	1:3.5.5-0ubuntu3
    $ dpkg-query -W linux-image-$(uname -r)
    linux-image-3.5.0-10-generic	3.5.0-10.10
    PINNING THE PACKAGES VERSIONS
    Again, you could go hardcore and manually edit (nano, gedit) /var/lib/dpkg/status to set the desired packages versions to a "Hold" status. If you use the dpkg --set-selections command it will do exactly that for you (as I mentioned in my first post in this thread).

We can also do it using apt. You have to open /etc/apt/preferences in any editor (nano, gedit, etc). You need root permissions to edit it.

Code:
    $ sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences
    There are many ways to write instructions to apt preferences. Have a look at man apt_preferences to learn some. Here's one way to do it:
    Code:
    Package: nautilus
    Pin: version 1:3.5.5-0ubuntu3
    Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: linux-image-3.5.0-10-generic
    Pin: version 3.5.0-10.10
    Pin-Priority: 1001
    After setting apt-preferences with the instructions above, you will be warned about new versions when you run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, but more recent releases of this packages (as well as the packages that depend on them) will not be upgraded.

OBS: Sorry for the wall of text. This is not meant to be a "tutorial thread", as it would go against current UF policy. I'm studying the subject myself and writting a wiki page, so I already had the content above in drafts.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; August 23rd, 2012 at 04:51 AM.

Beans

My self still think in a dev install the easiest way to downgrade is to simply acquire the needed packages & use dpkg, doesn't seem a "hack", just common sense.
    As far as pinning that's just personal choice I guess - obviously the easiest method is just to not upgrade packages one has downgraded

As in the example of nautilus one would still need to understated the various nautilus packages & relationships. So what will happen if you downgrade the nautilus package itself or pin an earlier version & let others update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast