Thread: login dialog not appearing

Beans

login dialog not appearing

My unbuntu has been running fine for last 2 years. I've been updating it constantly and it hasn't given me any problems at all, except now.

Everytime I boot my system, the boot now takes longer than it used to before and then when the login screen is supposed to appear it makes the ubuntu drums sound but I don't get the dialog box where I get to choose the user and enter password.

If I press the power switch it gives me Shut Down, Restart, Suspend, Hibernate options. My mouse is fully active.

In the last session when it was working fine, I tried installing a program called pbrt. I hand edited certain pbrt files in /usr/local/ by giving me permissions to write using su. In the same session, gedit started giving me Segmentaion Fault. I opened Synaptic Manager. Couldn't open.

Things I've already tried by reading through forums -
    1.I logged in through root shell prompt and ran updates, reinstalled ubuntu-desktop package

2. Logged in through shell prompt changed back permissions of the file I had changed.

3. Did a recovery mode boot and selected the repair broken packages option

4. At login time did ALT+CTRL+F1 to go to shell, logged in successfully then launched startx. Wanted to install lightdm through synaptic manager, but synaptic manager wouldn't open. Just the same way as in my last proper ubuntu session. I open it, only the waiting icon appears for my mouse pointer and then just nothing

Can someone please help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: login dialog not appearing

Hello and Welcome

My unbuntu has been running fine for last 2 years.
    Knowing what version may help you to get an answer.

Wanted to install lightdm through synaptic manager, but synaptic manager wouldn't open.
    May not be compatible depending on Ubuntu version.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harshalnachnolkar View Post
    My unbuntu has been running fine for last 2 years. I've been updating it constantly and it hasn't given me any problems at all, except now.

Everytime I boot my system, the boot now takes longer than it used to before and then when the login screen is supposed to appear it makes the ubuntu drums sound but I don't get the dialog box where I get to choose the user and enter password.

If I press the power switch it gives me Shut Down, Restart, Suspend, Hibernate options. My mouse is fully active.

In the last session when it was working fine, I tried installing a program called pbrt. I hand edited certain pbrt files in /usr/local/ by giving me permissions to write using su. In the same session, gedit started giving me Segmentaion Fault. I opened Synaptic Manager. Couldn't open.

Things I've already tried by reading through forums -
    1.I logged in through root shell prompt and ran updates, reinstalled ubuntu-desktop package

2. Logged in through shell prompt changed back permissions of the file I had changed.

3. Did a recovery mode boot and selected the repair broken packages option

4. At login time did ALT+CTRL+F1 to go to shell, logged in successfully then launched startx. Wanted to install lightdm through synaptic manager, but synaptic manager wouldn't open. Just the same way as in my last proper ubuntu session. I open it, only the waiting icon appears for my mouse pointer and then just nothing

Can someone please help me?
    Type either:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install lightdm
    or
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install gdm
    into a console (or terminal) to install a login manager.

EDIT: Type 'cd /var/log; ls' into a console/terminal and see if there is such thing as "synaptic.log". If there is, type 'nano synaptic.log' or 'cat synaptic.log' and paste it in to a post.
    Last edited by GeorgeWhite5; August 20th, 2012 at 06:43 PM.

Beans

My ubuntu version is 10.04.4 LTS
    codename lucid

Beans

I tried installing gdm and it said gdm is already newest version.

I couldn't find a synaptic.log but I did however find a /var/log/gdm folder only viewable to root. I checked inside and I found a log corresponding to my last boot.

the files are named like :0.log.1 or :1-greeter
    a log file named :0-greeter was written when I just logged in.
    I'm trying to get it uploaded here. But I can't post it through my ubuntu so I tried to copy the files into my Windows partition and read and copy, paste from there. Unfortuanately windows doesn't support the format the file is in