Thread: Errors logging in with NIS

Beans

Errors logging in with NIS

Ok, so I have never set up a NIS network before, so before I dive head first into setting up all my labs with it, I thought that I would dabble with it by creating a single Master server and a single client.

I already have everything set up by following these instructions verbatim. Like I said, I have a single server box and a single client box, both are running 10.04 LTS Desktop Edition (32 bit).

I then added a user to the server and updated the maps with
    Code:
    sudo make -C /var/yp
    . As far as I can tell that was successful.

When I go to log into the user account from the client it first acts successful. Then I get three consecutive popups that say:

"could not update ICEauthority file"

"There is a problem with the configuration server.
    (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)"

"Nautilus could not create the following required folders: /home/user/Desktop, /home/user/.nautilus.
    Before running Nautilus, please create these folders, or set permissions such that Nautilus can create them.
    "

I then get the purple clouds background with no apparent gui. If I spring a terminal, followed by a whoami it says that the current user is a non-privileged user account on the client machine.

I've checked ownership of the aforementioned files and they are owned by the user.

My question is is this a client or a server issue, and is it even related to NIS. My hunch is that it is because if I am on the server machine I can log into the user just fine, it is only when I attempt to log into the user from the client machine that I get these errors.

Any help, suggestions, or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jeraldamo

Beans

Re: Errors logging in with NIS

If I did not state the problem in a clear manner or if you need more information please don't hesitate to ask...

Thanks,
    Jeraldamo