Thread: Email Client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Email Client

I currently use Thunderbird as my email client and I quite like it but with the announcement a few weeks ago it got me thinking should I look to move client. I quite like the Gmail web GUI but it doesn't support PGP which I use to encrypt most of my emails.

What other clients are there out there that will give me PGP support. I would probably drop the client altogether and just Gmail but I have a few different inboxes that I keep managed in Thunderbird and again its not got the PGP support there.

Just looking for a little bit advice from anybody thanks.
    Also i this is the wrong section then im sorry wasn't sure where this belong.

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Email Client

Mozilla have announced that they will continue with security updates. There may well be some community development too but I'm doubtful as to how much further one can develop the standalone e-mail client before change for changes sake simply introduces unnecessary bloat. If you are happy with what you have got then I would suggest you don't panic.

I note you use kubuntu. FWIW I am currently trialling kontact (which incorporates kmail)alongside Thunderbird and Lightning. Kmail works rather well with imap. I did have issues with korganizer (the calendar component) accessing the google calendar but it now works.

See this thread

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...k-with-Kontact

As indicated I am simply trialling it at the mo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You could try Evolution. Here is a guide to setup Evolution

Official blog release on Thunderbird Support
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ianmillington View Post
    Mozilla have announced that they will continue with security updates. There may well be some community development too but I'm doubtful as to how much further one can develop the standalone e-mail client before change for changes sake simply introduces unnecessary bloat. If you are happy with what you have got then I would suggest you don't panic.

I note you use kubuntu. FWIW I am currently trialling kontact (which incorporates kmail)alongside Thunderbird and Lightning. Kmail works rather well with imap. I did have issues with korganizer (the calendar component) accessing the google calendar but it now works.

See this thread

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...k-with-Kontact

As indicated I am simply trialling it at the mo.
    As of a few months ago, though (and this might be fixed by now), setting up PGP in Kmail is a brutal, brutal nightmare that I could never quite get to work correctly. If the OP really needs to stick with PGP, then I would agree to stay with Thunderbird since Mozilla will continue with the security updates. That's my plan for now as well.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for advice might just wait it see what happens but I was thinking the same about unessential change or maybe no change at all. Never really got a feel for kmail. I just really liked thunderbird and its PGP plugins they work really well.

If its a brutal setup don't know if I can bothered with the hassle while I have thunderbird working fine.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've just started using Mutt, and like it quite a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Email Client

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Perfect. It does seem like I have the best solution to be honest. Might have a look at VMwares Zimbra see what that's all about.

Thanks