Thread: Win 7 Asus netbook

Beans

Red face Win 7 Asus netbook

My laptop kicked the bucket a while ago, so I have been out of the loop. I read that Win 8 was going to be a big problem with Linux so when I finally had enough money I got a Win 7 Asus Core i7 whiz bang netbook.(modelU46E). Much to my horror, I can't even get a live distro to run on it. If I go into the boot menu it has one choice only, Win 7. It doesn't even seem to have a boot from CD or flash drive option. I admit, I don't know much about Win 7, I had Vista before. how can I get a live distro to run on it? Can I get into something like the bios and have it boot from the the usb flash drive? I have a 32 Gig Usb thunb drive I would like to use for Ubuntu.

Mike

Beans

Re: Win 7 Asus netbook

maybe I should rephrase the question, how do I turn on the auto boot feature on Win 7??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Win 7 Asus netbook

Mike,

I personally don't have one of these computers but I looked up the laptop on the Asus Website. It says it has a BIOS... I imagine if you go into the Setup of the BIOS you might need to enable booting from the USB drive.

Many BIOS have the option to disable booting off of a particular drive.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery