Thread: Can't use/install/detect my Nvidia Graphic Card

Beans

Exclamation Can't use/install/detect my Nvidia Graphic Card

How do i install my Nvidia Graphic Driver? I mean, before installing Xubuntu, i had a Win XP that runned flawlessly, now if i open a game i just got a black screen... Worse, i can't set a 1280x720 resolution from the Settings (max i got is 800x600).

System spec:

Toshiba Satellite 1410
    256 mb Ram
    20 HD Gb
    Nvidia GeForce 4 420 Go graphic card
    CPU Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.50GHz

I tried to install the Nvidia '96',173 and Current packs from the Synaptics app, received an error report, stating something is missing/interfering with the first two, while the "current" was installed, but didn't do any major change... in fact it's like nothing changed.

Any suggestion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't use/install/detect my Nvidia Graphic Card

Since it is not Optimus, you shouldn't have much trouble.

If you just installed Ubuntu, wait a bit and you'll see a message for "Restricted Drivers" for your video device, and install that. You can also go to your graphics settings and there should be the option there to install them.
    "I'd group the Gnome 3s, the KDE4s, the Unitys and the win8s with the same tag "Attempted to fix problems that didn't exist by breaking stuff that worked". - vexorian
    On another note, it looks like I'm back to ATI.

Beans

EDIT: misread question. Install libgl1-mesa in apt-get.
    Last edited by triclops200; July 20th, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Beans

Thanks but the two tips didn't work

1) There are no such option where you said they would be, neither a "restricetd" message

2) Can't get the pack you suggested via terminal. Say it's impossible to find that pack.

Beans

I'm afraid the Nvidia drivers that support your card (nvidia-96) won't work with 12.04. Your only option for running 12.04 on Geforce 4 series is to use the open source driver (nouveau).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haresear View Post
    I'm afraid the Nvidia drivers that support your card (nvidia-96) won't work with 12.04. Your only option for running 12.04 on Geforce 4 series is to use the open source driver (nouveau).
    Can you please give me the dommand line or the exact name of the app? Thanks

Beans

The nouveau driver should be installed by default if the nvidia drivers are removed, but based on your description, I'm not sure what graphics drivers are currently in use. Could you issue the following command in a terminal window:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep -e nouveau -e nvidia
    Also you could launch synaptic and search for "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" which is the open-source driver. I would expect it to be already installed. I would suggest also searching for "nvidia" to see if anything with nvidia in the package name is installed.