Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Problems with flash and Skype and defaults

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    334
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Problems with flash and Skype and defaults

    I've been experiencing problems with my Meerkat running 11:10.

    Firstly Flash keeps crashing, but not predictably. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

    Secondly, some applications keep reverting to default settings. So, for example, if I set Skype to use the mic on my webcam, the next time I turn Skype on it will be set to the default mic again. Skype is not the only application doing this.

    Third I've got other problems with Skype. I'm having difficulty finding a compatible webcam. I've tried two logitec webcams. The computer does not recognise one. The other freezes, and sometimes Skype crashes altogether, or I get frozen screen and have to restart the computer. I'm fairly certain the webcam problem is separate to the flash and default settings problem because I've never managed to get a webcam to work properly with the Meerkat, whereas the other two problems are recent.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Beans
    2,563
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Problems with flash and Skype and defaults

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeleaper View Post
    I've been experiencing problems with my Meerkat running 11:10.

    Firstly Flash keeps crashing, but not predictably. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

    Secondly, some applications keep reverting to default settings. So, for example, if I set Skype to use the mic on my webcam, the next time I turn Skype on it will be set to the default mic again. Skype is not the only application doing this.

    Third I've got other problems with Skype. I'm having difficulty finding a compatible webcam. I've tried two logitec webcams. The computer does not recognise one. The other freezes, and sometimes Skype crashes altogether, or I get frozen screen and have to restart the computer. I'm fairly certain the webcam problem is separate to the flash and default settings problem because I've never managed to get a webcam to work properly with the Meerkat, whereas the other two problems are recent.
    Here's a list of Logitech webcams that have been tested with Ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...amerasLogitech

    For your other problems, they sound like software issues. I recommend upgrading to 12.04 first, to rule out the possibility of a mis-installed package somewhere.
    Last edited by isantop; July 2nd, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    334
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Problems with flash and Skype and defaults

    Thanks for replying.

    I've updated to 12.04 and I'll see how it goes. So far Flash has not crashed and a test call on Skype was fine. Video seemed to be working too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    334
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Problems with flash and Skype and defaults

    With 12.04 my flash problem seems to be solved, and the returning to defaults problem too.

    But I've still got a problem with the webcam on Skype. If I do a test the webcam shows up and works. However, when I'm in a call if I try to turn on the webcam it tells me no device is detected. I've found I can get Skype to detect the webcam by unplugging the USB and replugging it. That's OK. I can live with it. But it's not ideal.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Beans
    2,563
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Problems with flash and Skype and defaults

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeleaper View Post
    With 12.04 my flash problem seems to be solved, and the returning to defaults problem too.

    But I've still got a problem with the webcam on Skype. If I do a test the webcam shows up and works. However, when I'm in a call if I try to turn on the webcam it tells me no device is detected. I've found I can get Skype to detect the webcam by unplugging the USB and replugging it. That's OK. I can live with it. But it's not ideal.
    Make sure there are no other programs accessing the camera. If there are, Skype will spit out errors like that.

    Also, it would also be a good idea to ensure that there are no other areas in Skype where the webcam is displaying a picture. It's technically possible for one application to display the image from the camera in multiple place, but it has to be coded properly to do that. Skype may simply not be coded to allow for that.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    334
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Problems with flash and Skype and defaults

    Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Make sure there are no other programs accessing the camera. If there are, Skype will spit out errors like that.

    Also, it would also be a good idea to ensure that there are no other areas in Skype where the webcam is displaying a picture. It's technically possible for one application to display the image from the camera in multiple place, but it has to be coded properly to do that. Skype may simply not be coded to allow for that.
    Isantop, I'm sorry but I don't understand. What do you mean by "other areas in Skype"?

    I don't think there can be any other programmes accessing the camera.

    The occasional problems with flash have returned.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Beans
    2,563
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Problems with flash and Skype and defaults

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeleaper View Post
    Isantop, I'm sorry but I don't understand. What do you mean by "other areas in Skype"?

    I don't think there can be any other programmes accessing the camera.

    The occasional problems with flash have returned.
    If you have a skype preview open, or anything else displaying video from the webcam within skype, that could be monopolizing the stream.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •