Thread: Too many updates (12.4)

Beans

Too many updates (12.4)

My Update Manager keeps wanting me to download too many updates. Some of these are for programs I don't use or have uninstalled. Since upgrading to 12.4 I don't know where to go to change the settings for the update manager (eg. security updates only). This version of Ubuntu is laboriously slow at startup now I can't imagine how bad it will be if I download all the updates it recommends. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Beans

Re: Too many updates (12.4)

Quote Originally Posted by johnniea View Post
    My Update Manager keeps wanting me to download too many updates.
    It's offering only the updates you told it you want. To change that, go to Software Center --> Edit Menu --> Software Sources.

Some of these are for programs I don't use or have uninstalled.
    Updates are only offered for packages you have installed. You can control what you have installed using Software Center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

When you first install Ubuntu it will update your system files and there will be a large amount of files. After that it will just keep them up to date. It may be just a few or at times many more. When a kernel update comes along it will require a reboot but you can wait. And yes, it only will only update what you have installed. Don't forget there are many support files for the programs you are running. (lib files and other). When you install an app it comes as a package which contains other files.
    It is a good practice to keep your system up to date because some of these updates are for security and bug fixes.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Software sources is integrated into the update manager. Click on settings.

Beans

Thanks for the help. I am still getting update suggestions for programs I have uninstalled (ex. Thunderbird, Firefox). Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the help. I am still getting update suggestions for programs I have uninstalled (ex. Thunderbird, Firefox). Any suggestions?
    If you are getting update suggestions for them, you haven't uninstalled them. How did you attempt to uninstall them?