Thread: Star5 wireless problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Star5 wireless problem

Hi all!

I'm on the road and after working fine for almost a year, I've unfortunately got a showstopping wireless problem on my Star5. It won't connect to any of the wifi networks in the last 3 hotels I've been in, though it worked fine a week ago. I'm running 12.04 (have been since April) and I tried booting from a USB image of stock 12.04 image but the same problem. Have also tried my external wireless
    Adaptor and the same problem there. (it's a TPlink TL-WN722N) I'm typing this on my iPod touch and unfortunately have no access to wired Internet so the Star is offline ATM. An odd thing about this situation is that anytime the starling is trying to connect to the wifi networks, it kicks my iPod offline and I can't get back on until I disable the star wireless with FN-F11. Have tried open and closed networks, too. Hoping I can get this fixed ASAP - I'm a writer and have had to retype my last two articles from the star on the iPod touch so I could send them off - not fun!

Thanks so much!!
    -Morgan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Star5 wireless problem

Quote Originally Posted by zipmon View Post
    Hi all!

I'm on the road and after working fine for almost a year, I've unfortunately got a showstopping wireless problem on my Star5. It won't connect to any of the wifi networks in the last 3 hotels I've been in, though it worked fine a week ago. I'm running 12.04 (have been since April) and I tried booting from a USB image of stock 12.04 image but the same problem. Have also tried my external wireless
    Adaptor and the same problem there. (it's a TPlink TL-WN722N) I'm typing this on my iPod touch and unfortunately have no access to wired Internet so the Star is offline ATM. An odd thing about this situation is that anytime the starling is trying to connect to the wifi networks, it kicks my iPod offline and I can't get back on until I disable the star wireless with FN-F11. Have tried open and closed networks, too. Hoping I can get this fixed ASAP - I'm a writer and have had to retype my last two articles from the star on the iPod touch so I could send them off - not fun!

Thanks so much!!
    -Morgan
    That's a very strange issue. Can you try the following procedure to reset the configuration for your wireless networks:

1. Click on the networking icon in the top right, then click on "Edit connections".
    2. Click on the Wireless tab.
    3. Click on the first connection in the list on the right, then click "Delete...".
    4. Repeat this for each network listed.

Once you've done this, reboot the computer and attempt to connect again.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    That's a very strange issue. Can you try the following procedure to reset the configuration for your wireless networks:

1. Click on the networking icon in the top right, then click on "Edit connections".
    2. Click on the Wireless tab.
    3. Click on the first connection in the list on the right, then click "Delete...".
    4. Repeat this for each network listed.

Once you've done this, reboot the computer and attempt to connect again.
    Appreciate the quick reply! Just did this, with same result: kicks iPod offline, cycles between trying to connect and failing and asking me for the network password (which is correct). Have also tried with the iPod both off and in airplane mode, but the star still won't connect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zipmon View Post
    Appreciate the quick reply! Just did this, with same result: kicks iPod offline, cycles between trying to connect and failing and asking me for the network password (which is correct). Have also tried with the iPod both off and in airplane mode, but the star still won't connect.
    Had it ever connected to these networks? If it had, then you're likely looking at a failed card.

If not, then I'd need you to connect to a network the computer has previously connected to in order to tell for sure.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Had it ever connected to these networks? If it had, then you're likely looking at a failed card.

If not, then I'd need you to connect to a network the computer has previously connected to in order to tell for sure.
    It hadn't ever connected to those networks, and I have the good fortune of typing this response from my WiFi connected Starling - I've moved on from that hotel and it works without issue on the network here! So no dead card, whew!

It must have been something with the routers in the previous 3 hotels - they were all in the same area, and it's pretty rural, perhaps the local internet provider uses a wonky router as default? Anyway, I'm glad to be out of that problem, but it's still odd that my other two devices (iPod, 3DS) connected without any problems, as did everyone else's computers who I spoke to.