Thread: How to copy files from my desktop to /etc/network?

Beans

Question How to copy files from my desktop to /etc/network?

I am using ubuntu 12.04. I am trying to copy certain files form my desktop to /etc/network so that iptables can configure it self at system startup. But i get an error: Error opening file 'iptablessave' permission denied.

I finaly made the file in the correct posision with the terminal command: pico. Anyway now i also see i cant create new documents or folders anywhere in my root. I am the system administrator. I have the same problem with linux mint 13.

How do i fix this so that i can copy my files to where i please without having to use the terminal?

NOTE: i choose to encrypt my home folder and use a password to login on both Ubuntu and Linux Mint 13... Maby this has something to do with it. I am also dual booting them...

Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to copy files from my desktop to /etc/network?

Use Nautilus with sudo permission. Launch it in Terminal like this
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    It will ask for your password then the GUI will launch. Clearly, you need to be careful what files you change and move around.

If you need to delete anything then be sure to hold down the Shift key at the same time as pressing del otherwise you will fill roots trash with rubbish. Holding down Shift permanently deletes.
    Last edited by mapes12; July 13th, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans

use sudo cp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As the others said, you need root privileges to modify certain directories, /etc is one of them. So either use:
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    OR
    Code:
    sudo cp /source/files /destination/folder
    to copy the files you need.

Best of luck,
    Kopkins