Thread: How would I make a command that inputs something to terminal?

Beans

Question How would I make a command that inputs something to terminal?

Hello, I have Ubuntu on a flash drive. The one problem I have is when I log off of the default account (Ubuntu) and onto my personal it wont shut down or restart when I tell it to. I have read that I can issue "sudo shutdown -P now" and it will shut it down. However I would like to be able to click something on my desktop or something of that nature to shut the machine off. I would do the same with with "sudo reboot"

Help is appreciated,
    Thanks

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How would I make a command that inputs something to terminal?

enter that command BEFORE logging out

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    enter that command BEFORE logging out
    Is there a way I can make the command click able?

Beans

Beans

Hi, afaik a standard (non-sudo) user *should* be able to shutdown / reboot via the taskbar "power button" by default - what happens when you try?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15866...-panel-no-sudo

The only exception should be if another user is also logged in - in which case root is required (i.e. only root is allowed to kill *another* user's session).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is 2 different problems

Quote Originally Posted by Hydera5 View Post
    Hello, I have Ubuntu on a flash drive. The one problem I have is when I log off of the default account (Ubuntu) and onto my personal it wont shut down or restart when I tell it to.
    (I don't know why normal shutdown does not work for you. Maybe permissions are set up differently on a live-system than on a normal system.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hydera5 View Post
    I have read that I can issue "sudo shutdown -P now" and it will shut it down. However I would like to be able to click something on my desktop or something of that nature to shut the machine off. I would do the same with with "sudo reboot"
    You can place a Launcher in the panel or on the desktop. In the command field of the launcher, enter the command
    Code:
    gksu shutdown -P now
    When you press that button it will ask for a password and then (hopefully) shut down.

(Explanation: gksu is required instead of sudo, because sudo assumes there is a terminal where the password is entered.)

(Techno mumbo jumbo name dropping: The title is misleading because nothing needs to be input to a terminal. The launcher invokes a shell to execute the command, or issues an exec system call directly.)