Thread: New PC supported by Ubuntu

Question New PC supported by Ubuntu

Hi,

After a really bad experience after buying a Dell All-in-One Vostro 360 (partially due to the use of the Optimus NVidia <-> Intel graphics switch unsupported in ubuntu) and returning it for a refund, I am looking for another PC.

I do have some requirements:
    • Minimum intel i5 chip, 6Gb;
    • Don't care about graphics card;
    • Minimum (physical) space usage;
    • No PC tower on the floor;
    • Stylish (wifes request);

This is my reason to go for an all-in-one. I thought about a laptop with a docking station but would need a huge laptop sitting on my desk, since the smaller ones are probably not as powerful. Another solution is a super-small tower that sits behind a monitor or something but can't find any. I thought about a Z-box which you attach to the back of a monitor but none are powerful enough for my requirements.

And obviously should be ok with Ubuntu (otherwise my wife would've run out and got herself a mac).

I thought about building my own but I am not exactly sure which resellers in the UK sell small towers, and then if I would be able to put in enough power to suit my requirements. All the PCs I have assembled till now have had normal sized towers which is now a no-go.

I am open to any suggestions... all-in-ones, laptops, mini towers... as long as it suits my requirements. Thanks!
    Last edited by pmatos; April 30th, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: clarification of requirement

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New PC supported by Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pmatos View Post
    I thought about building my own but I am not exactly sure which resellers in the UK sell small towers, and then if I would be able to put in enough power to suit my requirements. All the PCs I have assembled till now have had normal sized towers which is now a no-go.
    Just go for a Mini-ITX case and motherboard, they will take the same CPU's and RAM as a normal desktop ATX board.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-.../miniitx-cases

If you choose a motherboard and CPU that support the Intel onboard graphics then you don't need a seperate GPU, failing that you can get either a small form factor GPU or a full size one if it fits your chosen case (I would go for Nvidia).

www.bit-tech.net do some good reviews of mini ITX cases.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; April 30th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pmatos View Post
    And obviously should be ok with Ubuntu (otherwise my wife would've run out and got herself a mac).
    All modern Macs can run Ubuntu as well.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Mini-ITX can be a little challenging to build if you aren't careful. Just make sure to check the motherboard that you are getting for its compatible processors. For example, the Intel motherboards DH61DL and DH67CF are limited to the low voltage versions of the i5 and i7 processors. What is going to be the purpose of this machine? Having an i5 or higher is great, but this can be overkill if you're making a general purpose machine.

Thanks for both of your answers. It looks like I might go down the mini-itx route. Sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    All modern Macs can run Ubuntu as well.
    If I can avoid it... I will. MiniITX sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by RadagastII View Post
    Mini-ITX can be a little challenging to build if you aren't careful. Just make sure to check the motherboard that you are getting for its compatible processors. For example, the Intel motherboards DH61DL and DH67CF are limited to the low voltage versions of the i5 and i7 processors. What is going to be the purpose of this machine? Having an i5 or higher is great, but this can be overkill if you're making a general purpose machine.
    Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea of the limitation regarding voltages. Are those limitations usually visible when you buy a motherboard? It doesn't look like it. For example:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel...board-mini-itx

How would I know about supported voltages? How do you know?

Regarding the purpose of the machine, it seems like an i5 is definitely enough. It will be used just for general purpose computing and development. No games, no scientific simulations.

Beans
    Distro

If beige or black boxes no longer cut it:

https://www.floorstoyourhome.com/blo...oden-pc-cases/

#1 is not to my taste but the others aren't bad. I find #3 quite attractive.

Beans

I built a Jetway mini ITX set up some years ago for a relative, mainly for skype and emails.
    Sadly Skype no longer works due to Pulseaudio hogging far more of the system than it should.

I am considering an upgrade butI am reluctant to buy another mobo only to discover it has the same problems with Pulse.

Does anyone have any actual experience of running ubuntu and skype on something like the Zotac D2700-ITX Wi-Fi Supreme or maybe one of the 1155 socketed boards ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Removed, I missed how old the thread is.