Thread: Nvidia Optimus or AMD Enduro

Beans

Nvidia Optimus or AMD Enduro

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a notebook with a dedicated graphics card. I want to run ubuntu as my main os (dualboot with windows for games though). I'm now in doubt between 2 almost identical notebooks. Both have an I7 processor with a HM77 Express chipset. The only difference is the graphics card. I have to choose between a NVIDIA GTX675m with Optimus and an AMD Radeon HD7970m with Enduro.

I know that both are not fully supported in ubuntu (or any other distro). If I understand correctly, I can use bumblebee with the nvidia for some support so that I can run individual applications on the dedicated card and with the AMD Radeon I should be able to switch between the two cards (with a X-server restart).
    The bios of both laptops has no options regarding the graphics.

Which one is the best choice if I plan on using ubuntu most of the times? (I plan on programming 3d applications on both windows and ubuntu, so I can't just use the integrated intel card in ubuntu).

I'm sorry if I've made mistakes in my english, since it's not my best language

Thank you in advance,
    Rob

Beans

Re: Nvidia Optimus or AMD Enduro

Normally, Bumblebe works well, but people with the latest 6xxM Kepler-based mobile GPU's are reporting that the optirun command doesn't work, even with latest Nvidia driver: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=184421

Note: that doesn't mean I recommend AMD hybrid, especially if you plan to use fglrx/Catalyst driver.

Beans

Well, the GTX675m is not a kepler based gpu (unlike the gtx 640, 650 etc), right? So that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Just found out that bumblebee does NOT work with the GTX675 (yet). So that's a problem...
    Last edited by robbiedobbie; June 19th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Beans

So, which one is the best to choose? Which one has the best support at the moment?